The Classic Canadian Caesar
The Classic Canadian Caesar is one of Canada’s most loved drinks! Made with Clamato juice, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and a blend of delicious spices. The Caesar is like a meal when it’s garnished with celery sticks, pepperoni sticks, pickles and a wedge of lime! So good.
The Caesar is a classic Canadian drink, and one that makes an appearance at pretty much any summer party or barbecue we go to! It’s not a Canadian party unless there’s a bottle of Clamato in the fridge. This delicious drink is, admittedly, made with some unusual ingredients but they work together. They really really do.
Have you ever seen a drink look more delicious? I mean, these are like a meal. You don’t have to add all the garnishes, but you should. You really really should. Pickles, yes. Pepperoni, yes. Celery, a must. Bacon, why not?
Ok before we go to far, let’s talk about what a Canadian Caesar is, and a bit about the main ingredient which is Clamato juice.
Ok, what exactly is Clamato?!
If you’re not from Canada you might be asking, what on Earth is Clamato? Now hear me out before you get grossed out… Clamato is a drink mix you buy that is a mixture of clam and tomato juices. Weird, I know. But it’s so good, I promise! It doesn’t taste clam-y, it’s more like a light and salty refreshing tomato juice.
And when you mix the Clamato juice with vodka (if you like), hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and spices, you get the Classic Canadian Caesar. Don’t forget the extra good stuff though…
How to Drink the Classic Canadian Caesar
To get the full Caesar experience you can’t forget the salty rim! You have to lick the rim, then take a sip of the drink, then follow it up with a bite of pepperoni, celery or pickles. Trust me. It’s delicious. I hope you try it.
Canadian Caesar Fun Facts!
The Caesar was invented in my hometown of Calgary, Alberta in 1969. As a matter of fact, the Thursday before Victoria Day Weekend (May Long Weekend) is Caesar Day here! But really, summer is Caesar season.
Classic Canadian Caesar Recipe Tips:
- Use Clamato juice, not tomato juice. It’s just not the same thing.
- This drink is delicious without the vodka too.
- Add any of your favourite garnishes…dill pickles, pickled onions, pickled asparagus, pickled beans, pepperoni, celery, bacon…endless possibilities
- If you don’t have a pre-made seasoning salt rimmer, you can use celery salt instead.
The Classic Canadian Caesar
The Classic Canadian Caesar is one of Canada’s most loved drinks! Made with clamato juice, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and a blend of delicious spices.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 drink 1x
- 1 oz Vodka (you can leave this out if you want a virgin Caesar)
- 2 dashes of Tabasco Sauce
- 4 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- 3 dashes of salt & pepper
- 4 oz Motts Clamato Juice
- Caesar seasoning salt rimmer (Mott’s is a great one See notes.)
Caesar Additions (anything you like!):
- celery sticks
- pepperoni sticks
- pickled asparagus spears
- green olives
- dill pickle chunks
- lime wedges
- Rim a glass with the seasoning salt rimmer. To do this, put a generous amount of the seasoning salt onto a small plate. Use a lime wedge and rub it along the rim of the glass to wet it. Then turn the rim of glass in the salt mixture to coat it.
- Then in a glass combine the Clamato, vodka (if you’re adding it), Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce and salt & pepper. Be careful not to touch the seasoning salt on the rim of the glass.
- Garnish with all your favourite things! The more the better…it’s almost like lunch! 😉
If you don’t have a pre-made seasoning salt rimmer, you can use celery salt instead.
Another great drink made with Clamato is Beer and Clam!
Clamato juice with beer is the best! This is one of my most favourite party drinks. Just pour a beer in a glass, and add 3 to 4 oz of Clamato. Yum.
Have a delicious Day!