This Chimichurri marinade is a versatile, flavourful and delicious marinade! Perfect for inexpensive cuts of beef, but it’s also delicious for chicken.
Chimichurri marinade is packed full of fresh herbs and spices, making it the perfect flavourful sauce for meats and vegetables!
A fresh and flavourful marinade for steak or chicken!
Hands down, Chimichurri Steak is a one of our most favourite summer suppers! The marinade is full of fresh and delicious flavours, which takes a grilled steak to the next level. But this marinade is also fantastic with chicken. In fact, you can even marinade vegetables in this sauce (potatoes are particularly delicious)!
Make inexpensive cuts of meat amazing!!
One of the best things about a marinade like this chimichurri marinade, is that it’s great for inexpensive cuts of meat like a flank, flat iron or hangar steak. Letting a more tough cut of beef such as these marinate overnight in a flavourful mixture with vinegar will result in a tender and tasty steak!
Let it rest!
Make sure to give yourself time for this recipe. I like to make the marinade the night before I want to serve it, then I let the steak and the marinade rest in a ziplock bag overnight for maximum flavour.
This meat turns beautifully tender and seasoned perfectly! So. Much. Flavour.
How to Marinate a Steak in Chimichurri Marinade:
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients together.
- Then take your flank steak and using a fork, pierce the steak all over, front and back to soak up the flavours of the marinade. (see picture below)
- Cover the steak in marinade, making sure to coat both sides.
- Then one of two things can happen here. You can cover and marinate the meat for at least 4 hours, but it’s best left overnight. OR, you can freeze the meat & marinade in a ziplock bag for another day, just take out and de-thaw before cooking.
- Preheat your barbecue on the highest setting.
- So marinated flank steak on the barbecue is easy to do, BUT, it will flare the first time you set it on the grill!! Please beware!! I’m talking full on flames! See picture below…
- With the barbecue on hight heat, sear both sides, then cook for approximately 7 minutes on each side, so roughly 15 minutes total. We like ours slightly pink inside, so you may want to cook yours longer.
- After you remove the steak from the grill, cover the it with foil, and let it rest for about 5 minutes.
- When ready to serve, slice the steak thinly across the grain of the meat.
Chimichurri Marinade Tips:
- Steak: Use inexpensive cuts of meat like a flank, flat iron or hangar steak.
- Pierce the steak: Pierce the flank steak with a fork, making sure to pierce it on both the front and the back so that the steak can soak up the flavours of the marinade.
- Marinating Container: I like to put the steak and the marinade into a ziplock bag to marinate, but you can use any dish that you like. Cover the steak in the marinade, making sure to coat both sides.
- Marinade Time: Let the steak marinate in the bag, in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, but overnight is best.
- Barbecue Tip: The marinated flank steak will flare the first time you set it on the grill! Please beware!
- Freezing Tip: Once you’ve placed the steak in the marinade, you can put it in the freezer for another day…your future self will thank you!
- Chimichurri also makes an amazing dip for fondues!
Flank Steak Menu Ideas:
I hope you love this chimichurri recipe! Have a delicious day!
Note: This post was originally shared in June 2011. I have since updated the pictures, but it’s the same great recipe!