These Vanilla Cupcakes with Cherry Buttercream are SO delicious! This easy recipe makes 24 scrumptious cupcakes that are perfect for parties or any special occasion.
If you’re looking for a classic vanilla cupcake recipe, this is it! These moist and delicious cupcakes are then topped off with a creamy and flavourful fresh cherry buttercream. So good.
Fresh Berry Buttercream
I LOVE the idea of adding fresh berry puree to buttercream frosting. It’s such a simple way to add flavour and colour to a classic vanilla icing. For these cupcakes I was inspired by the blog Indigo’s Sugar Spectrum, to use fresh cherry puree, but you could use so many different berries…just think about blueberry buttercream, strawberry buttercream, raspberry or blackberry. SO GOOD.
Perfect for any occasion.
I hope you try these cupcakes and love them as much as we do! They’re a great option for birthdays, Mother’s Day or any special or every day occasion. Enjoy!
- Cherry: The frosting recipe calls for about 3 tablespoons of fresh cherry puree (which is about 7-8 cherries). If you don’t have fresh cherries, you can used canned or even just 3 tablespoons of cherry jelly.
- Should I strain the cherries? You don’t have to. If you add pureed cherries they add texture to the frosting. But if you want a more smooth buttercream, consider straining the juice from the cherries and using just that.
- Butter: This recipe calls for unsalted butter, but honestly, most of the time I use salted butter because that’s what I have on hand…so when I do this, I reduce the salt by 1/4 tsp, and use only 1/2 tsp instead.
- Milk: I use 2% but you can also use whole milk. I don’t recommend skim or 1%…the more fat in the milk, the more rich the cupcakes will be.
- Let them cool. Before you frost the cupcakes, make sure they have cooled completely or the icing will melt into the cupcake.
- Garnish: These cupcakes looks so nice topped with a fresh cherry.
- Storage: I keep my frosted cupcakes on my counter for up to 3 days…but they’re usually eaten up by then!
- Make a Cake: This cupcake recipe works well for a 2 layered cake. Just pour the batter into 2 prepared 8-inch baking pans (grease and flour, or line the bottoms with parchment paper), and bake for 35-40 minutes.
Vanilla Cupcakes with Cherry Butter Cream Icing
If you’re looking for a classic vanilla cupcake recipe, this is it! These moist and delicious Vanilla Cupcakes are topped off with a creamy and flavourful fresh Cherry Buttercream. So good. This easy recipe makes 24 scrumptious cupcakes that are perfect for parties or any special occasion.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 24 cupcakes 1x
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Baking
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
Fresh Cherry Butter Cream Icing:
- 3 tbsp fresh cherry puree (see tips)
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 cups icing sugar (confectioners’ sugar or powdered sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 24 fresh cherries (optional)
Making the cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Add the eggs to the butter mixture and mix until smooth.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the milk to the butter mixture.
- Beat on low until smooth.
- Pour the batter into approximately 24 muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting them.
Making the icing:
- Puree about 8 cherries, then measure out 3 tbsp (I like to use a hand blender to do this). Set aside.
- Sift the icing sugar.
- In a mixer, beat butter until soft and fluffy.
- Add the sifted icing sugar and mix until well combined.
- Add the vanilla and cherry puree.
- Then once the cupcakes have cooled, you can frost them.
- Top each cupcake with a fresh cherry.
- Expect pure silence at your table while devouring these tasty treats!
Keywords: vanilla cupcakes, cherry frosting, cherry buttercream
PIN IT for later!
Have a delicious day!