These Vanilla Cupcakes with Cherry Buttercream are SO delicious! This easy recipe makes 24 scrumptious cupcakes that are perfect for parties or any special occasion.
If you’re looking for a classic vanilla cupcake recipe, this is it! These moist and delicious cupcakes are then topped off with a creamy and flavourful fresh cherry buttercream. So good.
Fresh Berry Buttercream
I LOVE the idea of adding fresh berry puree to buttercream frosting. It’s such a simple way to add flavour and colour to a classic vanilla icing. For these cupcakes I was inspired by the blog Indigo’s Sugar Spectrum, to use fresh cherry puree, but you could use so many different berries…just think about blueberry buttercream, strawberry buttercream, raspberry or blackberry. SO GOOD.
Perfect for any occasion.
I hope you try these cupcakes and love them as much as we do! They’re a great option for birthdays, Mother’s Day or any special or every day occasion. Enjoy!
- Cherry: The frosting recipe calls for about 3 tablespoons of fresh cherry puree (which is about 7-8 cherries). If you don’t have fresh cherries, you can used canned or even just 3 tablespoons of cherry jelly.
- Should I strain the cherries? You don’t have to. If you add pureed cherries they add texture to the frosting. But if you want a more smooth buttercream, consider straining the juice from the cherries and using just that.
- Butter: This recipe calls for unsalted butter, but honestly, most of the time I use salted butter because that’s what I have on hand…so when I do this, I reduce the salt by 1/4 tsp, and use only 1/2 tsp instead.
- Milk: I use 2% but you can also use whole milk. I don’t recommend skim or 1%…the more fat in the milk, the more rich the cupcakes will be.
- Let them cool. Before you frost the cupcakes, make sure they have cooled completely or the icing will melt into the cupcake.
- Garnish: These cupcakes looks so nice topped with a fresh cherry.
- Storage: I keep my frosted cupcakes on my counter for up to 3 days…but they’re usually eaten up by then!
- Make a Cake: This cupcake recipe works well for a 2 layered cake. Just pour the batter into 2 prepared 8-inch baking pans (grease and flour, or line the bottoms with parchment paper), and bake for 35-40 minutes.
PIN IT for later!
Have a delicious day!