Make these Halloween Pumpkin Sugar Cookies for some extra delicious and spooky fun this Halloween!
Halloween is so fun. I admit that I get caught up in the excitement of it with my kids. They love the decorations, costumes, spooky movies and of course all the fun Halloween treats! And it’s the perfect excuse for me to get right in on all the fun…so I don’t feel weird at all about serving finger hot dogs for lunch, or hanging a spooky eyeball wreath, or even decorating my living room with spooky stuff. Too fun.
So last week as the kids and I were out shopping for some Halloween things, I saw these cute little candy butcher knives at Michaels, and I knew right away what I was going to do with them. Halloween cookies.
And not just any cookies, Halloween Pumpkin Sugar Cookies. All the deliciousness of pumpkin spice, and a soft sugar cookie all in one. Then rolled in some blood red sugar, and add a knife for spooky fun. Halloween deliciousness!
But seriously. Aren’t they fun?
Put these out at a party or send them to school, and just stand back and watch them disappear. No one will be able to resist them. They’re not only adorable, but they’re also delicious.
Soft, chewy, pumpkin-y and spooky.
Halloween Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 cup of butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree not filling
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- coloured sugar for rolling the dough in before baking
- spooky Halloween candies: I used butcher knives
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the egg and vanilla. Mix until well blended.
- Add the pumpkin puree and mix until smooth.
- In another bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves.
- Add the flour mix to the butter mixture, mixing until well blended.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Shape the cookie dough into 1 inch balls. ** If the dough is too sticky to roll, put it in the fridge for about 30 minutes to harden it up before rolling. **
- Roll the balls in the coloured sugar, then place them on a cookie sheet. Do not press them down!
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes, or until edges of the cookies are lightly browned.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let cool for 2 - 3 minutes.
- After the cooling period, press a spooky candy into the middle of the cookies.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
More Delicious Halloween Recipe Ideas:
- Spooky Eyeball Sugar Cookies
- Halloween Hot Dog Fingers
- Ghost Pizza
- Halloween Jell-o Skulls
- Monster Cookies
- Mummy Juice Boxes