A few years ago when my daughter turned 5, I made these ice cream sandwiches instead of cake, and they were such a hit with the kids! Not only are they pretty, but they are so, so delicious! I made these sandwiches with double chocolate cookies, filled them with vanilla ice cream, then decorated the sides with colourful chocolate candies. Easy, pretty and so tasty!
Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe Tips:
- Not only do these cookies make great ice cream sandwiches, but they are also great cookie jar filler! They’re soft, chewy and so chocolatey!
- These would make a great dessert for a July 1st or July 4th backyard party, just use different colours of candies! For a party, you could even let your guests decorate the ice cream sandwiches themselves!
- You can make these ice cream sandwiches ahead of time. Just freeze them until you’re ready to serve.
- I used smarties for these ice cream sandwiches but you can use any chocolate candy or even sprinkles!
Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
These Double Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches are such a fun summer treat! Make a batch of homemade cookies and fill them with ice cream, then let the kids decorate!
- Yield: 0 About 25 medium sandwiches 1x
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Smarties for decorating (or what ever candy you like)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together butter and sugars.
- Add eggs one at a time. Mix.
- Add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda.
- Add flour mix to sugar mix, and combine.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- For regular cookies, drop 1 heaping tbsp of batter onto cookie sheet and bake for about 10-12 minutes.
- For larger cookies for ice-cream sandwiches, drop a heaping 2 tbsp mound of batter onto the cookie sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes. Watch carefully. They are best when still a bit soft and chewy.
For Ice Cream Sandwiches:
- Cool cookies completely.
- You can assemble your ice cream sandwiches about 2-3 days ahead of time.
- Scoop about 1/3 cup ice cream between 2 cookies.
- Decorate edges with Smarties (or what ever candy you like)
More Delicious Frozen Summer Treats:
- Ice Cream Sandwiches with Sprinkles
- Peanut Butter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Coconut Popsicles
- Peanut Butter Banana Creamsicles
Make sure to follow my Popsicles and Frozen Treats Pinterest Board for more delicious ideas!
Have fun with them!