Make these pretty and simple Mason Jar Lanterns in just minutes! They’re perfect for outdoor summer entertaining!
One of my most favourite parts of summer are nights on the deck with friends…under the stars and candles and lanterns. Some of the best conversations happen here. We find ourselves doing this often during our warm summer nights and I would’t have it any other way.
Lighting makes all the difference!
Lighting is key for these times…soft glowing lights. So I fill the table with tea lights and I’ve started hanging glass lanterns from our deck umbrella. Home made lanterns out of mason jars. Let me tell you, these are the easiest things to make, and they have such big impact! Come along, I’ll show you how!
How to Make Mason Jar Lanterns:
These lanterns are made from mason jars! I continue to love the versatility of mason jars…from jams to desserts to soap pumps and now lanterns! I LOVE them! This super easy lantern project can be done in a short period of time with just a few simple and inexpensive materials.
What you need to make Mason Jar Lanterns:
- Mason jars
- 20 gauge wire
- tin snips
- Wrap wire around the mouth of your mason jar, under the bottom lip of the screw top area of the glass (the neck), hook and pull tight.
- Wrap the end of the wire tight, looping about 3 times around (as shown below). Basically you’re making a ‘knot’ to secure it.
- Now make the handle: Leave about 8 inches of wire for the handle, and 3 inches for knotting to secure it (see below).
- Then pull the wire down through the wire around the neck of the jar on the other side of the jar (as shown below), making sure to leave 8 inches for the handle.
- Then wrap the wire tight to secure it, looping about 3 times (see below), like you are ‘knotting’ it. Then snip the end.
You’re done! SO simple. Honestly, once you get the hang of it, you’ll be able to make these Mason Jar Lanterns in no time!
The finishing touches.
- Now that you’ve made the number of mason jar lanterns that you want, you can hang them!
- I used twine wrapped through the wire handles to hang them. I did this so they would hang low over our table.
- Add little tea lights to each jar.
- Light and enjoy!
Mason Jar Lantern Tips and Ideas:
- You can use citronella candles to keep the mosquitoes away!
- Use any size mason jar that you like. I use the 500 mL size jars.
- Put lids on your jars when you’re done using them, so they don’t collect rain.
- Get fancy and add sand or glass beads to the bottoms of your jars, then rest your candles on top.
Don’t they look pretty at night?! Sparkle, sparkle!
PIN IT TO MAKE LATER!