String patio lights around your deck or patio space to make a magical nighttime garden retreat!
For as long as I can remember I have wanted to string patio lights around my deck but just never got around to making it happen. I decided to change that this year, and get it done. And now that the lights are up, I’m sad that I took so long to do it! I love how my deck looks all lit up at night, SO SO much. So much.
A Simple and Quick Way to String Lights Around Your Patio
This really is the easiest project I have ever tackled. It’s almost too easy and embarrassing to share here, but I’m going to because if you have ever considered doing this to your deck space I want you to know you should. Don’t wait another second because you’ll love the outcome.
Supplies to Make DIY Patio Lights
For your convenience, I’ve linked the products I used below. These links are affiliate links, which means if you purchase something through one of the links in this post, I receive a small commission, but at no cost to you! Thank you for supporting ‘A Pretty Life’, and helping to make this blog possible! x
- The Lights: The lights are from Lowe’s and you can see them here. They are the 10 Vintage style Edison lights by allen + roth. A 13-ft cord with 9-ft lighted length that has plugs at both ends.
- The Wood: 2x2x8 treated lumber poles
- Eye Rings: I used these eye ring hook screws I bought at Walmart.
How to Make Easy DIY Patio Lights
This is not a fancy project by any stretch, but then again I’m not fancy. Sometimes I just want things done in a simplistic way, and that’s what I got with this light project.
- To string the lights I used 2x2x8 treated lumber poles and stainless steel screw eye rings.
- I screwed the eye rings into the centres of the tops of the poles.
- Then we secured the poles to the corners of our deck by screwing them into the sides of our deck base.
- Then I strung 4 sets of outdoor lights from eye ring to eye ring.
- Done. Really simple.
And look how pretty they look! Whimsical like a rustic garden party. The whole deck is softly lit up…sigh. I could sit out here all night long…the lights, the evening scented stock…I love it so much.
So if you have waited to do this for your deck, don’t wait any longer!
Update! We liked these lights so much, we strung them along our fence too! You can see them here, and get more ways to hang string lights!
Thank you for PINNING!
More Garden Inspiration:
- 10 Tips for Staining a Fence
- Tips for a Cut Flower Garden
- Starting Sweet Peas in Pots
- Planting an Edible Flower Garden
Have an inspired day!