These Caramelized Onion, Apple and Brie Flatbread Pizzas are loaded with balsamic caramelized onions, sliced Granny Smith apples, double cream Brie cheese, and spicy arugula. That is a lot of deliciousness on one flatbread.
If you’re looking for a delicious summer appetizer that’s easy to make and a little different, these Caramelized Onion, Apple and Brie Flatbread Pizzas are perfect! Bake them in the oven, or grill them on the barbecue, these make for a great appetizer or a light dinner.
Perfect for summer nights on the patio!
Just picture yourself on a warm summer patio, glass of wine or sparkling beverage in hand, and these Caramelized Onion, Apple and Brie Flatbread Pizzas on the table. Summer eats are the best! Double the batch and invite friends and family over!
Flatbread Pizzas are a Delicious and Easy Appetizer!
The combination of balsamic caramelized onions, tart apples, creamy Brie and spicy arugula is a flatbread pizza match made in heaven! And grilled to perfection…so delicious. Just look at all that melted cheese…and sweet tangy onions. So very, very good.
Make one, or make a lot.
You can make one large flatbread pizza to share with family or friends, or you can split the recipe into 3 small flatbreads, the choice is yours. If you double the recipe, then you can make individual flatbreads for everyone at your table. It’s always nice to have a flatbread all to yourself!
I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious recipe for Caramelized Onion, Apple and Brie Flatbread Pizzas!
Brie Flatbread Pizzas Tips & Tricks
- Start by making the caramelized onions. Making caramelized onions takes a bit of time, so make these first.
- Apples: This recipe calls for Granny Smith apples because they’re flavourful and tart, which is perfect with the cheese. But you can use any kind of apple, and even pear.
- Flatbread: I like to buy pre-made flatbreads for recipes like this, there’s no sense in making a homemade crust, unless you want to. Pre-made flatbreads are delicious and so easy. My favourites are Naan breads.
- Arugula: If you don’t care for arugula you can leave it out, or substitute it with fresh spinach.
- Onions: When making caramelized onions, sweet onions are the best variety…they’re sweet and flavourful.
- Grilling Option: You can also grill these flatbread pizzas on the barbecue. Set them on a sheet of tinfoil, or directly on the grill if you wish, and bake them the same way you would in the oven. We set our barbecue to a medium-high heat, and cooked them for about 8 minutes. Watch them closely to make sure they don’t burn.
Caramelized Onion, Apple and Brie Flatbread Pizzas
These Caramelized Onion, Apple and Brie Flatbread Pizzas are loaded with balsamic caramelized onions, sliced Granny Smith apples, double cream Brie cheese, and spicy arugula.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Pizza
Balsamic Caramelized Onions:
- 2 large sweet onions
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- salt and black pepper to taste
Flatbread and Toppings:
- 1 large (or 3 small) pre-made flatbread or Naan bread
- 1 or 2 green apples, cut into thin slices (I used Granny Smith apples)
- 3/4 cup sliced Brie cheese (I used 1/2 of a 350 g wheel of Brie)
- 1/4 cup chopped Arugula for garnish
- caramelized onions (see recipe below)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
Make the caramelized onions first:
- Slice the onions.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over low-medium heat, then add the onions.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar.
- Turn the heat down to low, and cook the onions until they are soft and there is no liquid in the pan, about 25 minutes.
- Stir often, making sure not to let the onions burn. You want them to be soft and deep golden brown.
- When they’re done, set aside.
Putting it all together:
- Lay the flatbread out on a baking sheet.
- Spread the caramelized onions over the flatbread.
- Layer on the slices of apple, tucking some apple pieces under the onions.
- Add the sliced Brie cheese.
- Bake the flatbreads for 10 – 12 minute, or until the cheese is softly melted.
- Garnish with the chopped arugula and serve!
Keywords: flatbread, brie flatbread, naan flatbread pizza
PIN IT for later!
Have a delicious day!