Blueberry Baked French Toast
This Blueberry Baked French Toast is creamy and bursting with beautiful blueberry flavours. This recipe is a keeper! Perfect for Sunday brunch or any special occasion.
I’ve got blueberries on my mind lately. Beautiful little blue berries. They’re delicious in so many baked goodies like this Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake, Blueberry Pie, Blueberry Turnovers, Blueberry Pancakes or you can even make homemade jam with them. And recently I was thinking they needed to be in a french toast recipe. A Blueberry Baked French Toast. How amazing does that sound?
You might have caught a glimpse of this on Instagram this past weekend…I shared it on Saturday and it’s my most liked photo yet! Looks like we’re all on the same page with our love of blueberry french toast!
Anyway getting back to the recipe, this dish is a twist on my Overnight Apple Baked French Toast. I swapped out the apples a few other ingredient and added blueberries.
Let’s just say the results were definitely worth it.
This french toast is creamy and bursting with beautiful blueberry flavours. This recipe is a keeper!
- I think the type of bread used in this recipe can make or break this french toast. I used homemade Challah bread because of it’s chewy texture and slight sweet flavour. It also soaks up the cream perfectly. But if you don’t have this type of bread, a french loaf would work great as well.
- If you are using frozen blueberries, toss them first in about 1 tsp of flour. This will help to make sure the blueberries don’t stain the bread and turn everything blue.
- For an special touch, right before serving sprinkle the french toast with some icing sugar and lemon zest.
- Serve with maple syrup, cream or whipping cream, and enjoy!
Blueberry Baked French Toast
You can make this dish ahead of time, and keep it in your fridge until you want to bake it in the morning. Or if you are pinched for time, you can bake it as soon as you make it as well.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 75 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 5 – 6 cups of chunks of bread (I used Challah bread)
- 1 (8 ounce) package of Philadelphia Cream Cheese (cut into small pieces)
- 2 cups of blueberries See tips. (fresh or frozen)
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups light cream (I used half & half)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp sugar for garnish
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, maple syrup, milk, and vanilla. Set aside.
- Next prepare a glass baking dish. I like to rub mine lightly with butter.
- Sprinkle in half of the bread.
- Add the chunks of cream cheese and blueberries.
- Sprinkle on the remaining chunks of bread.
- Pour the milk/egg mixture over the bread.
- Sprinkle on the 2 tbsp sugar.
- If you are baking this dish in the morning, cover the dish with tin foil and put it in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for 30 minutes more, until golden brown and puffy.
- Serve with syrup.
If you are using frozen blueberries, toss them first in about 1 tsp of flour. This will help to make sure the blueberries don’t stain the bread and turn everything blue.
So if you’re looking for a great recipe for Easter brunch or Mother’s Day, this is a great idea!
More Delicious French Toast Bake Recipes:
- Cinnamon Sugar French Toast Bake
- Banana Bread French Toast Bake (Bread Pudding)
- Raspberry Baked French Toast
- Pumpkin Pie French Toast Bake
- Vanilla & Apple French Toast Bake
Have a delicious day!
This was sooooo delish. Like, “I-ate-like-a-vacuum-cleaner-and-felt-no-shame-going-for-thirds” good.
Love it! 🙂
I love this… definitely on the list of to-make brunch ideas!
I hope you love it! It really is a great brunch recipe…a crowd pleaser!
Such a nice recipe – I love cheese and blueberries combination – definitely gonna try it soon 🙂
Wow! This is mouthwatering amazing! I would love for you to share this at my party Making Memories Mondays that is going on now! Hope to see you there! 🙂
This sounds oh so delicious! Pinning! Would love to have you come over and link this up tonight at The Wednesday Round Up!
I adore blueberries, and french toast, and baked items.. really, just all of this. YUM! Thank you so much for linking this up with Mouthwatering Mondays!
Would this work with gluten free challah? My son has severe celiacs, so I don’t bring any wheat in the house at all.
Hi Kitty! I’m not sure if it would, as I have never made it with gluten free bread. I think if I were to try it with gluten free bread, I would bake the dish as soon as I put it all together so the bread doesn’t dissolve. Enjoy!
Looks lovely!! Found You at Artsy Fartsy Mama – Link Party!! Hey I would love it if you stopped by my place and shared your stuff on my Link party – My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday!! Hope to see you there!!
Mmmmm…This looks delicious! My two favorites blueberries and French toast, now that’s a combination! Our family loves French toast for Saturday morning. Pinning to try this weekend! Thank you for sharing at #OMHGWW! Looking forward to seeing you next week! xo Christine@ CherishingaSweetLife
Thank you Christine! Best combo ever! 😉
This looks amazing. I love anything with blueberries!
Thank you Cindy! And me too! 🙂
This looks so good! I’m drooling right now. Pinned and tweeted. We appreciate you being a part of our party. Please stop by on Monday at 7 pm. Happy Sunday! Lou Lou Girls
Thank you so much for sharing my recipe! 🙂
Yum – what a fabulous sounding recipe! And it’s pretty too. 😉 Thanks for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty !
Thank you Brittany!
It’s going to be finish of mine day, however before end I
am reading this impressive article to increase my know-how.
I love fresh toast. This recipe looks wonderful! Thank you very much for joining in the celebration of #purebloglove, we enjoy having you each week. I hope to see you on Thursday at 8PM, EST through Sunday night. ~Cydnee
This dish looks wonderful! Thanks for linking up to Show Me Saturday. I’m featuring this as my recipe of the week tomorrow.
Ooh la la! This looks so delish. Going to be my must try recipe for breakfast Sunday morning!
That looks delicious! What a great way to use blueberries 🙂
There’s something about blueberries and french toast, you just can’t go wrong. Thanks for posting. Hello from The Party Bunch.
Thanks for sharing at the Inspiration Spotlight Party! Tweeted & Pinned! Hope to see you again soon!
Yum – thank you
You are so welcome! Enjoy!
I came across this recipe somehow! So glad I did 😊. I’m making for tonight’s dinner! 😂 So, I wish I could include a pic as it’s so lovely. Thank you! Anita