This Blueberry Baked French Toast is creamy and bursting with beautiful blueberry flavours. This recipe is a keeper! Perfect for Sunday brunch or any special occasion.
I’ve got blueberries on my mind lately. Beautiful little blue berries. They’re delicious in so many baked goodies like this Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake, Blueberry Pie, Blueberry Turnovers, Blueberry Pancakes or you can even make homemade jam with them. And recently I was thinking they needed to be in a french toast recipe. A Blueberry Baked French Toast. How amazing does that sound?
You might have caught a glimpse of this on Instagram this past weekend…I shared it on Saturday and it’s my most liked photo yet! Looks like we’re all on the same page with our love of blueberry french toast!
Anyway getting back to the recipe, this dish is a twist on my Overnight Apple Baked French Toast. I swapped out the apples a few other ingredient and added blueberries.
Let’s just say the results were definitely worth it.
This french toast is creamy and bursting with beautiful blueberry flavours. This recipe is a keeper!
- I think the type of bread used in this recipe can make or break this french toast. I used homemade Challah bread because of it’s chewy texture and slight sweet flavour. It also soaks up the cream perfectly. But if you don’t have this type of bread, a french loaf would work great as well.
- If you are using frozen blueberries, toss them first in about 1 tsp of flour. This will help to make sure the blueberries don’t stain the bread and turn everything blue.
- For an special touch, right before serving sprinkle the french toast with some icing sugar and lemon zest.
- Serve with maple syrup, cream or whipping cream, and enjoy!
You can make this dish ahead of time, and keep it in your fridge until you want to bake it in the morning. Or if you are pinched for time, you can bake it as soon as you make it as well.
- 5 – 6 cups of chunks of bread (I used Challah bread)
- 1 – 8 oz package of Philadelphia Cream Cheese (cut into small pieces)
- 2 cups of blueberries See tips. (fresh or frozen)
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups light cream (I used half & half)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp sugar for garnish
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, maple syrup, milk, and vanilla. Set aside.
- Next prepare a glass baking dish. I like to rub mine lightly with butter.
- Sprinkle in half of the bread.
- Add the chunks of cream cheese and blueberries.
- Sprinkle on the remaining chunks of bread.
- Pour the milk/egg mixture over the bread.
- Sprinkle on the 2 tbsp sugar.
- If you are baking this dish in the morning, cover the dish with tin foil and put it in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for 30 minutes more, until golden brown and puffy.
- Serve with syrup.
If you are using frozen blueberries, toss them first in about 1 tsp of flour. This will help to make sure the blueberries don’t stain the bread and turn everything blue.
So if you’re looking for a great recipe for Easter brunch or Mother’s Day, this is a great idea!
More Delicious French Toast Bake Recipes:
- Cinnamon Sugar French Toast Bake
- Banana Bread French Toast Bake (Bread Pudding)
- Raspberry Baked French Toast
- Pumpkin Pie French Toast Bake
- Vanilla & Apple French Toast Bake
Have a delicious day!