If you’re planning on celebrating New Year’s Eve at Home this year, here are some ideas to make this night festive, cozy, delicious and fun! Fun ideas for a great night in, in the comfort of your own home.
New Year’s Eve will likely look a lot different for everyone this year as we find ourselves staying close to home yet again. But that doesn’t mean we can’t celebrate in a meaningful way with our family and close friends. So if you’re looking for ideas to make this time special, I hope you find some inspiration here for New Year’s Eve at Home. From decorating to easy appetizers and dinner! xo
KEEP (OR CREATE NEW) NYE TRADITIONS AT HOME
Creating a special night to ring in the New Year with our families is just what we need at this time. I actually think tradition is more important now than ever. But this doesn’t mean that we have to create an elaborate or complicated night, keeping things simple is perfect. We’re having a quiet night at home, and I’m hoping to barely lift a finger in all the planning. We’ll do what we usually do with glasses of champagne (and sparkling drinks), a few easy appetizers, party favours and hopefully dinner ordered in. It will feel special and simple. If you’re thinking of doing the same, here are some simple ideas to inspire your easy New Year’s Eve at Home.
Put up decorations!
Decorating for New Year’s Eve is always fun, and the most simple way to make the night feel festive and special! I really like to shop the Dollar Store for inexpensive e to shop the Dollar Store for inexpensive New Year’s Eve Party props, crackers, hats, streamers, confetti, balloons, sparklers, disco balls and garlands. You can even set a pretty table for dinner.
Put together a delicious grazing table.
One thing that I really like to do during the holidays is create a table for grazing, so that’s what I plan to do for our New Year’s Eve at Home. A table filled with a delicious selection of grazing foods for everyone to enjoy during the evening. Things like chips and dip, veggies and dip, charcuterie, and treats. And I really try to focus on items that the kids will enjoy…not just adult favourites…you want everyone to be excited about what they see.
DELICIOUS GRAZING TABLE IDEAS:
Here are some ideas for a grazing table everyone will enjoy: Just remember that it doesn’t need to be fancy or complicated!
- Offer a selection of vegetables with dip.
- Don’t forget the chips and dip.
- Make a Classic Spinach Dip. So good.
- Put together a simple tray of fruit like strawberries, bananas, apples etc…and serve it with this super delicious 3-Ingredient Fruit Fluff Dip.
- Put out little bowls of olives, pickles, nuts and dried fruits. Or go all out and put together a Charcuterie Board. This Antipasto Wreath is a fun and delicious option too.
- Make a Kid Friendly Snack and Cheese Plate
- This Pizza Dip is always a BIG HIT with my kids so I always try to make it at special occasions.
- And don’t forget the drinks for both kids and adults! Spritzers, pop, wine, punches, etc… We love to make this Winter Sangria, and the kids love this White Cranberry Punch or Ruby Red Grapefruit Punch. A Hot Chocolate Bar is also a fun and delicious idea!
- And for dessert, this Dessert Cheese Plate is delicious. Or just put out a plate of all the cookies and chocolates you made and received over the holiday season.
- If you’re looking for more appetizer ideas, make sure to check out my 11+ New Year’s Eve Appetizer Ideas post here.
Have a Fondue!
Fondues are a great option because they offer appetizers-dinner-and-dessert all in one! Not to mention that they’re really fun…who doesn’t like dipping bread in cheese, or strawberries into chocolate?! So good. I’ve got a whole Fondue Menu here that you can use as a guide…it includes a full menu for cheese, meat and seafood fondues, a chocolate fondue, plus all the dips, sauces and plenty of dippers! I’ve also included all the tools you need, prep timelines and my fondue tips and tricks.
New Year’s Eve is the perfect time to play games. We love card games, board games and sometimes we even bust out the sports games on the Wii…SO funny. You can even play games virtually over zoom with friends and family that you can’t see in person.
It’s a great time to have a movie marathon and binge watch a movie series like Harry Potter or Star Wars, or catch up on all of the holiday movies you didn’t get a chance to watch during the holiday season. Pop some popcorn (or make this caramel corn), bring out the candy and snuggle in sleeping bags and blankets for family movie night.
Go for a walk around the neighbourhood to look at all the Christmas lights, go for a skate, take the kids tobogganing, have a campfire in the backyard.
Don’t miss the countdown!
It never feels like New Year’s Eve without a countdown to midnight or watching the ball drop in Times Square when the clock strikes twelve! I love that you can also find countdowns at different time zones (or on Netflix) so you can have an early New Year’s Eve with the kids.
More Tips and Ideas for a Simple and Fun New Year’s Eve at Home:
- Remember that you don’t have to make everything yourself…there are many many delicious pre-made options.
- Order dinner from a local restaurant or market.
- Buy all of your treats.
- Buy pre-made appetizers.
- Purchase pre-made fruit and veggie trays.
- Dress up. If you have anything sparkly, wear it!
- Or stay in your pajamas the whole day!
- Have a dance party in your living room!
I hope you found some ideas here for your own New Year’s Eve at Home (check out my NYE Pinterest Board for more ideas)! I wish you all a happy and healthy New Year. Stay safe my friends.
PIN IT for inspiration later!
Happy New Year!