This Wild Rice Stuffing with Raisins and Apples is a perfect side dish to holiday turkey, or an everyday roast chicken!
- 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice (you can use brown rice too)
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups water
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- salt & pepper
- 1/3 cup raisins (or cranberries, or a mixture of the two)
- 1 apple, cut into small chunks (smaller than bite size)
- 1 cup canned chickpeas (strain the liquid)
- In a pot over low-medium heat, simmer the rice, water and bay leaves until the rice is fully cooked. (About 45 minutes for wild rice.)
- When the rice is done, drain any remaining water, and remove the bay leaves. Set aside.
- In the meantime, in a frying pan, cook the celery and onion in the butter until tender.
- Stir in the sage, thyme, salt & pepper, apples, raisins and chickpeas and cook for about 1 minute more.
- Stir in the rice. Mix well.
- Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: stuffing, gluten free stuffing, wild rice stuffing, side dish