This Turkey Brown Rice Soup is a great way to use up turkey dinner leftovers! It’s simple to make, and so delicious!
– – – – – –
This soup is one of my favourites to make. It’s hearty, loaded with turkey, vegetables and rice, making it so comforting. And it’s a perfect soup for all of your holiday turkey dinner leftovers! I love being able to use up turkey dinner leftovers and create a brand new meal.
Sometimes I’ll make homemade stock from the turkey carcass and use it to make this soup, even though I’m often exhausted (in a good way) after hosting holiday dinners. But when I do actually make stock I’m always so glad that I took the time to make it for the base of this soup. It’s very easy, and so satisfying to know it was homemade! But sometimes we don’t feel like making stock, and that is just fine! Pre-made chicken or vegetable stock is perfect in this recipe.
For this soup, I add as many leftovers from our turkey dinner as I can…including leftover Wild Rice Stuffing (I just remove the raisins). If there are leftover carrots or green beans, I add those too. It’s a great way to breathe new life into leftovers!
This recipe makes quite a big batch, and will feed the 5 of us for one dinner, then I can send the remaining soup with the kids in their lunches for school the next day. Kids love getting soup in their thermoses!
I love to serve this soup with my Braided Pumpkin Bread…together is is the perfect cozy supper. Enjoy!
- If you have leftover rice, instead of adding uncooked rice, add your leftover rice about 15 minutes before you serve the soup.
- Add leftover carrots, green beans, basically anything you think would taste great in soup! I’ve even added chickpeas.
- You can use this recipe as a base for Chicken Noodle Soup, or a Chicken & Rice Soup.
- Use what ever ingredient ratios you like…the more, the heartier!
- This soup is also very good with wild rice.
- Serve with Sweet Potato Biscuits
– – – –
This recipe was originally posted in October of 2011. I just updated the pictures and reposted!