These Valentines Day Chocolate Chip Cookies are soft and chewy, and decorated with red & pink smarties, they’re perfect for Valentines Day! xo
It’s February! How is it already February? At the speed that time currently seems to be flying, I’m hoping that the next thing I know it will be summer. Because right about now I tire of winter. We have very very very long winters here in Alberta, and while I enjoy the first few months of this season, I eventually get tired of the grey and cold and ice and chinook headaches. But at the same time I get inspired to make and bake things this time of year because there’s really not much else to do, and I don’t do well with idle hands. So I guess it’s kind of a catch isn’t it?
And now with it being February we’re looking ahead to Valentines Day! I actually really appreciate the timing of Valentines Day this time of year, because the colours and fun of this day are a nice break from all the dreary of winter. While we don’t do a lot to mark the day, it is nice to decorate the mantel with some colour, hang a wreath, and maybe have a simple fondue with the kids. I also like to bake with a little theme in mind. If you’ve been reading along here long enough you know that I like to bake cookies for pretty much each occasion, and Valentines Day is no different! This year I decided to make these Valentines Day Chocolate Chip Cookies.
A Simple + Fun Treat!
These cookies are pretty and fun for love day but really they’re great any time of year. You can play with the colours of the smarties and make them green for St. Patricks Day, or red and green for Christmas, or pastels for Easter…or if you’re like me, you can just pick the smarties off. Yes, I pick off the smarties. I don’t like the crunch of them on my cookies, but I add them because smarties make my kids happy.
Anyway these cookies are a little different than regular chocolate chip cookies, in that they also contain ground oats and an extra egg yolk which makes them super soft and chewy. My favourite kinds of cookies are the chewy kind!
Valentines Day Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 sugar
- 2/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cups old fashioned oats ground in a food processor
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup red and pink smarties
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a mixer cream together the butter and sugars.
- Add the egg, extra yolk, milk and vanilla then mix well.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mix to the butter mix and combine.
- Add the ground oats and chocolate chips and mix well.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes.
- When the cookies have finished baking, let them rest for a minute or 2, then add the smarties to the tops of the cookies. Adding the smarties this way ensures that they don't crack from the heat of baking.
Recipe adapted from Joy of Cooking
So pretty and delicious…my favourite.
More Delicious Valentine’s Day Treats:
- Valentine’s Day Nougat
- Chocolate Pavlova with Strawberries
- Dessert Cheese Plate
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Pink Marshmallow Buttercream