This Italian Tortellini Pasta Salad is a perfect summer (or any time) side dish! Loaded with tortellini, tomatoes, olives, cheese, salami, artichoke hearts, and fresh basil, all tossed in a tangy parmesan garlic dressing.
This pasta salad is one of my family’s most favourite! It’s loaded with delicious ingredients, and tossed with the MOST tasty homemade salad dressing. I hope you love it as much as we do.
EASE: Simple and quick! Put it together in 30 minutes, then let rest for 1 hour (or even overnight).
PROS: Easily tailored to your tastebuds.
MAKE AHEAD. Yes! Make it a day ahead of time.
A FAMILY FAVOURITE. This salad is on regular rotation in our home!
Simple, flavourful and a crowd favourite.
If you’re looking for a cold pasta salad recipe that everyone will love, this is it. One of the things I love most about making pasta salads, is how easy they are to put together, and how simple it is to make them your own! There aren’t many veggies, meats or cheeses that don’t taste great in a pasta salad. This pasta salad is full of ingredients that most people love…cheese tortellini, mozza cheese, olives, pickled peppers, tomatoes, dry salami, and fresh basil. So good. But honestly, the star of this salad, is the dressing…yum.
Perfect for picnics, potlucks and barbecues!
This Italian tortellini pasta salad is the perfect side dish for summer dinners! And because you can make it ahead of time, it’s ideal for picnics, potlucks and backyard barbecues. I also love that I can serve it for dinner, then enjoy the leftovers for lunch the next day or two.
ABOUT THE INGREDIENTS
- Tortellini: This pasta salad is best made with cheese tortellini (I used rainbow cheese tortellini). Cook the pasta according to package directions before adding to the salad.
- Cheese: I used mini bocconcini cheese for this recipe, but feel free to use cubes of your favourite cheese…other options that are delicious are Monterey Jack, cheddar, and chunks of fresh mozzarella.
- Meat: I used chopped dry cured salami, but you can also use pepperoni.
- Additional Ingredient Ideas: Feel free to add your favourite veggies, pickles and meat. For example: sliced bell peppers, cucumber, chopped cauliflower and broccoli.
Tips & Tricks
- Cooking the Pasta: Make sure not to overcook the tortellini. In fact, the noodles can be a little al dente because they’ll soak up some of the dressing, making them extra flavourful.
- Allow for Resting/Marinating Time: This salad needs at least 1 hour for marinating and resting to allow all of the flavours to come together. It’s even better if you can let it sit for several hours.
- Stir, stir, stir! Make sure to mix the pasta salad well, to coat all of the ingredients with the delicious dressing. And give it one last good stir right before you serve it.
- Can I make this Italian tortellini salad ahead of time? Yes! This is a perfect make-ahead salad. Just keep it in an air-tight container in the fridge overnight, for serving the next day.
- How long does this salad last? This salad will last at least 3 days, covered tightly in the fridge. Just give it a good stir before each time you serve it.
PIN IT for later!
Have a delicious day!