This Creamy Cheddar Macaroni Salad is the perfect summer pasta salad. It’s loaded with peppers, celery, onions, chunks of cheddar cheese and elbow noodles, all covered in a tangy sour cream dressing. Simple, quick and so delicious!
When I think about summer foods and dishes served up with BBQ meats, I immediately think of pasta salads. Pasta salads are the quintessential summer side dish. I love the flexibility of the ingredients you can add to them, I love that they’re easy and quick to make, and you can’t beat the fact that most people happily eat them. I know whenever there is a pasta salad on the table my family is guaranteed to eat it.
A classic pasta salad recipe!
This Creamy Cheddar Macaroni Salad is a simple as they get. The ingredients are readily available, and are often on hand, making it a great last minute side dish. And like I always try to promote, this dish can be tailored to your tastebuds. Add broccoli if you like, or some cubes of cooked ham, or grape tomatoes. Experiment and enjoy!
Tonight I’m serving this with grilled chicken, but it would be great with hamburgers, kabobs or any BBQ meat that you like. This recipe would also be great for potlucks or you could pre-make it and take it along on camping trips or picnics.
And have we talked about this bowl yet? We must. I mean look at it…it’s turquoise and white and adorable! I bought a set of 3 of these bowls from my friend Erin, and when I saw them I nearly fainted. Ok, not really, but I did do a little happy dance. They are vintage Pyrex and are in perfect condition…I love them. And they’re perfect for this pasta salad…
Now on to this simple and delicious recipe. I hope you enjoy it!
- This recipe calls for 4 cups of COOKED macaroni, which equals about 2 cups dried.
- You can be tailor this pasta salad to your tastebuds. Add broccoli if you like, or some cubes of cooked ham, or grape tomatoes.
- Make sure to let this salad rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (1 hour or more is best), before serving.
This Creamy Cheddar Macaroni Salad is the perfect summer pasta salad. It’s loaded with peppers, celery, onions, chunks of cheddar cheese and elbow noodles, all covered in a tangy sour cream dressing.
- 4 cups of cooked elbow noodles (about 2 cups dried)
- 1 bell pepper cut into small chunks
- 2 celery sticks cut into small chunks
- 2 tbsp chopped red onion
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup cheddar cheese chunks
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp prepared mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- dash salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to package directions. Cool and rinse with cold water.
- Blend together the mayonnaise, mustard, sour cream, vinegar, sugar and salt & pepper.
- In a serving bowl, combine the noodles and chopped vegetables, then toss with the dressing.
- Let rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (1 hour or more is best).
- Serve and enjoy!
- Category: Salad
Keywords: pasta salad, cheddar macaroni salad
Recipe adapted from the Talk About Good Cookbook
– – – – –
More Delicious Pasta Salad Recipes:
- Bruschetta Pasta Salad
- Rainbow Pasta Salad
- Grilled Chicken Caprese Pasta Salad with Creamy Balsamic Dressing
- Chilled Noodle Salad with Ginger Wasabi Dressing
- Bowl of Bows Pasta Salad
Have a delicious day!