This Baked Goat Cheese Spinach Dip is baked right in a hearty bread bowl, making this the ultimate hot dip! It’s creamy, rich and full of delicious cheesy bacon flavour! A great appetizer for the holidays!
– – – – – – – –
Our winters here are long and very cold, but we try to embrace the season by enjoying all it has to offer. This means that we brave sub zero temps and hit the ski hill, we strap on skates to go skating, put on our snowshoes and take long winter walks…so basically we aren’t afraid of the cold! A little known secret is that I do in fact adore our Canadian winters (as long as there is plenty of snow then I’m happy)!
One of the things I love most about our cold winter activities is that they bring people together. I mean what better fun than to spend the day tobogganing with family and friends, then all getting together at someones home for hot chocolate and warm winter eats? It’s the best. There is just nothing like filling your belly with warm winter drinks and home made, hearty food after a cold and wintery day.
For occasions like this, I like to have some easy and delicious recipes at my finger tips…ones that can be prepared either ahead of time, or in just a few minutes. And this Goat Cheese Spinach Dip is a perfect dip for such an occasion!
I like to prepare this dip ahead of time, and have it ready to go as soon as we come inside. Serve it bubbling hot with loads of crusty bread, and your favourite glass of red wine…or hot chocolate for the kids!
My favourite thing about this dip is that it can be baked and served right in a bread bowl. You can use it as a bowl for dipping, then eventually eat the bowl! Or you can cut it width-wise into strips and serve it that way.
It’s delicious no matter how it’s served…it’s creamy and tangy from the sour cream and goat cheese, and full of flavour from the spinach, artichoke hearts, garlic and crumbled bacon. Yes, did I forget to mention that this dip has bacon? Bacon makes everything delicious.
This Goat Cheese Spinach Dip is a perfect appetizer for any time of year…it’s great for winter gatherings with friends and it would be perfect for holiday entertaining! It’s very easy to make and only takes a few minutes to assemble. Your guests will love it.
- 2 1/2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 onion diced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 - 140 g package of goat cheese
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped marinated artichoke hearts
- 8 slices of cooked bacon crumbled
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 artisan loaf of bread
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
- Chop fresh spinach so you end up with about 2 1/2 cups.
- Dice the onion, and mince the garlic.
- Then in a skillet, saute the spinach, onion and garlic in a little bit of olive oil. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook until the onions are soft, and there is no moisture from the spinach.
- Stir in the cooked and crumbled bacon, and cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a food processor (I use a hand blender), puree the goat cheese and sour cream together until smooth.
- Then add the goat cheese/sour cream mixture and chopped artichoke hearts to the spinach/bacon mix. Stir until well combined.
- Now it's time to prepare your artisan loaf of bread (you can use a sour dough loaf or any kind of large loaf that you like, as long as you can remove the centre portion).
- Cut out the top of your loaf, cutting in about 1 1/2 inches deep, then peel off the top and remove the centre. You just want to create a pocket to put your dip, so make sure you don't cut down too deep into the loaf, but deep enough that the dip won't flow out of the bread.
- Save the bread you cut out for dipping. Just cut it into dipping sized chunks.
- Add the spinach mixture to the space in your bread bowl, then wrap your bread dip in tin foil, and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until the mixture is bubbling.
- You can use the bread bowl as a dip, and serve it with extras chunks of fresh bread or baguettes for dipping. Or you can slice the whole bread bowl width wise and serve in strips.
Here are more delicious appetizer ideas!
Have a delicious day!