A classic and delicious lasagna recipe! Made with layers of rich tomato sauce and ground beef, noodles, ricotta cheese and loads of shredded mozzarella and parmesan. So good.
This is a no fail, super delicious lasagna! Like the kind of lasagna that results in complete silence at the dinner table when eating kind of lasagna. Delicious. And really, it’s the best lasagna.
A family pleaser recipe!
I know when I make a lasagna for dinner everyone is going to be happy and I love that. Especially one that is rich with tomato meat sauce and loads of cheese like this one!
A complete from-scratch lasagna recipe.
One of the things that makes this lasagna recipe stand out is the homemade meat sauce. As the sauce simmers for about 1 hour it becomes rich and so flavourful…honestly it’s the best. If you have time to do this, I really recommend making the sauce from scratch.
Or keep it simple with this shortcut.
Now I know I said that the homemade tomato meat sauce in this recipe is the best, HOWEVER, sometimes we all need a quick and tasty shortcut for lasagna. When I’m pressed for time, or just don’t feel like making the sauce, I will use a jar of store bought pasta sauce instead. Just brown the meat, onions and garlic. Then drain. Then add the jar of pasta sauce and let that simmer for few minutes before assembling the lasagna. This shortcut is easy and tasty!
Lasagna Recipe Tips:
- Recipe Shortcut: If you want to speed things up, feel free to substitute the homemade sauce below with 1 jar of pasta sauce and just add cooked ground beef to it. I often do this and it’s a simple and delicious lasagna!
- NOODLES: I use regular lasagna noodles but whole wheat noodles are delicious too.
- COOKING THE NOODLES: I like to boil the lasagna noodles until they are al dente. The noodles will soften up more as they bake in the tomato sauce.
- CHEESE: You can use mozzarella cheese, or any shredded cheese you like (cheddar cheese, a cheese blend…).
- SEASONING: This recipe calls for 1 tsp dried basil and 1 tsp dried oregano. You can use 2 tsp Italian Seasoning instead.
- ORDER TO MAKE LASAGNA:
- First brown the beef with the onions and garlic.
- If you’re making the sauce from scratch, do this second.
- While the sauce is simmering, boil the noodles.
- Assemble and bake.
- LEFTOVERS: The leftovers are delicious. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- FREEZING: This recipe freezes well. When I make lasagnas to freeze, I like to prepare them in a foil pan, then cover the pan well with tin foil and plastic wrap and freeze. When you’re ready to bake the lasagna, you can bake it from frozen (no need to thaw) at 350 degrees F for about 1 1/2 hours (just make sure to remove the foil or plastic wrap first).
- GARNISH OPTION: Sprinkle the baked lasagna with fresh basil or fresh parsley right before serving. SO good!
What to serve with lasagna:
Classic Lasagna Recipe
A classic and delicious recipe for lasagna! Made with layers of rich tomato sauce and ground beef, noodles, ricotta cheese and loads of shredded mozzarella and parmesan. So good.
- Prep Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 8 people 1x
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Oven
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (14 oz) can tomato sauce (plain, no spices)
- 1 (19 oz) can diced tomatoes with the juices (plain, no spices)
- 1 (5.5 oz) can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine (or beef broth)
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 cups grated cheese (mozzarella, or a 4 cheese blend is super yummy!)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Making the meat sauce:
- In a large skillet brown the ground beef with onions and garlic (season with salt and pepper as it browns). Drain.
- Add the tomatoes with the juices, tomato sauce, tomato paste, wine, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, oregano, basil and salt and pepper.
- Stir and simmer for about 1 hour, covered.
- While the sauce is simmering boil the noodles in a large pot according to package directions. I like to boil mine until they are al dente. They will soften up more as they bake in the tomato sauce.
Putting together the lasagna:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Use a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Layer the ingredients as follows: 1/2 of the meat sauce, 1/2 of the noodles, all of the ricotta cheese, 1 1/2 cup grated cheese, the remaining noodles, the remaining meat sauce, the remaining grated cheese, then sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, until the cheese is golden brown and bubbling.
- Let sit for 10 minutes, then serve!
Keywords: lasagna, classic lasagna, lasagna recipe
More Delicious Lasagna Recipes
A family favourite dish served in different ways!
Don’t forget to pin this for later!
Have a delicious day!
Yum! It’s one of our favorites 🙂 It so easy to sneak extra veggies in there!!
I know how good your lasagna is! my mouth is watering! I am LOVING that lasagna noodle photo!!
new follower here and that lasagna looks amazing…yummy!!
Jo-Anna, Lasagna is one of my favorite foods. I want to try your recipe – sounds awesome!
Hi Jo Anna,
That is an awesome photo of the Lasagna Noodles. Your recipe looks very good, I like the addition of brown sugar, I will have to try that. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!
Mouth watering lasagna! You’re making me hungry! 🙂