If you’ve ever wondered what to do with Leftover Egg Whites, here are some delicious recipe ideas for you to try! Never waste another egg white again!
What to do, what to do when you’re making a recipe that doesn’t call for whole eggs, and instead requires only egg yolks (like a pound cake, tarts, curd or cookies)? Don’t throw out the egg whites, there are many delicious ways to use them up!
Freeze Leftover Egg Whites
Yes, you can freeze leftover egg whites! Just store them in an air tight container in your freezer for up to 3 months, then de-thaw completely before using them. Once de-thawed, they whip up beautifully! One way I like to do this is to freeze individual egg whites in an ice cube tray (make sure to cover it tightly), that way I have individual portions. But if I have a big bowl of egg whites, I will just freeze them in a container and label it with how many are in there.
Make a Pavlova
Pavlovas are delicious desserts that use a lot of egg whites…the recipe I use all the time calls for 6, making it a perfect recipe for using up egg whites. Here are my favourite recipes for Pavlova: Lemon Meringue Pavlova, Festive Wreath Pavlova and Chocolate Pavlova. Eton Mess is another fantastic recipe for egg whites. You can also make little ‘meringue cookies’ with a Pavlova recipe.
Make an omelet, frittata or scramble.
You can make fluffy egg white omelets or add extra egg whites to frittatas and crustless quiches. I also really enjoy scrambled egg whites with spinach, onions and peppers for breakfast or a light lunch…so good.
Use them in Pancakes.
Many pancake recipes call for whipped egg whites to be added to the batter…it makes pancakes extra fluffy! This recipe for Cottage Cheese Pancakes (this is a gluten free recipe, but you can make it with regular flour too) is one of our favourites.
Cookies like Macaroons only call for egg whites, so they’re perfect for leftovers! This is my favourite recipe for Chocolate Chip Coconut Macaroons.
More ways to use leftover Egg Whites:
- Make Candied Nuts
- Use them to dredge chicken fingers or onion rings before you cover them in bread crumbs or panko.
- Make homemade marshmallows.
- Make an egg wash. Use an egg white/water wash to brush the tops of pies before you bake them.
- Make a Lemon Meringue Tart or Pie
- Make Angel Food Cake
- Have you ever tried making a souffle? I haven’t but they use a lot of egg whites, and one day I will make a cheese one!
- Meringue frosting is another good use for egg whites.
- If you’re a cookie baker and decorator, then royal icing is a great way to use egg whites.
PIN IT for later!
Have a delicious day!