Put together this simple Mason Jar Salad in just minutes. Made with healthy and delicious ingredients, this make ahead salad is perfect for lunch on the go!
If you’re looking for a delicious and easy lunch idea, these Mason Jar Salads are it! Packed full with fresh and tasty ingredients, you can make these salads ahead of time so they’re ready to go when you need them.
Great for lunch on the go!
If you pack a lunch to take to work or school, or even a picnic, these mason jar salads are great. Assemble everything the day (or two) before, put them in the fridge then grab one when you’re ready to go.
Easy and Versatile!
The great thing about these salads is how versatile they are. You can basically add any of your favourite ingredients. If you need more ideas, I’ve listed some delicious options below.
Make these Salads part of your Weekly Meal Prep.
To save time you can make a few of these salads at once, then they’re ready for lunch all week! Feel free to switch up the ingredients each day so they’re a little bit different.
Mason Jar Salad Ingredient Options:
- Ingredient Options: Feel free to add different ingredients to your salads:
- leafy greens
- chunks of leftover chicken or beef
- grape tomatoes
- shredded carrot
- bell peppers
- roasted root vegetables (yams, sweet potato, beets, squash)
- mandarin oranges
- lentils and beans
- fresh herbs (like basil)
- cubes of cheese
- Bocconcini cheese
Mason Jar Salad Recipe Tips:
- Jar Sizes: I like to use the 32 oz jars for full meal salads. But you can half the dressing recipe and use a 16 oz jar for smaller salads. Just make sure to use wide-mouth jars.
- How long do they last? You can keep these salads in the fridge for up to 3 days. They’re best in the first day or two though…the longer they sit, the more soggy they will get.
- How to layer the salad? Add the dressing first, then layer on the more robust ingredients…things that won’t get soggy in the dressing, so things like kale, grains, carrots, chickpeas, etc. Then layer in the more delicate ingredients, making sure to add any lettuce or shredded cheese at the top.
- Sealing the jars. You can use regular caps and rings to seal your jars, or even plastic lids made to fit mason jars. These salads don’t need to be ‘sealed’, just closed.
- How to eat these salads? Right before you eat your salad, you can either shake the closed jar to mix all of the ingredients and eat the salad right from the jar. Or if the salad is packed too tight, just dump the salad into a bowl, mix and enjoy.
Simple Mason Jar Salad
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 squeeze lime juice
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups kale
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/4 cup chickpeas
- 1/2 cup chopped apple
- 1 tsp minced red onion
- 1/3 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup cubed roasted root vegetables example: butternut squash, yam, sweet potato
- 2 tbsp nuts, raisins or craisins
- 1/2 cup lettuce
- Make the dressing first then put it in the bottom of a large mason jar.
- Lay down the kale, then layer on the carrots, chickpeas, apple, red onion, quinoa, root vegetables, mixed nuts, dried fruit and lettuce.
- Seal the jar with a lid and refrigerate until you're ready to enjoy it.
- Right before you eat your salad, you can either shake the closed jar to mix all of the ingredients and eat the salad right from the jar. Or you can dump the salad into a bowl, mix and enjoy.
More Delicious Salad Recipes:
- Simple Green Salad
- Ramen Cabbage Salad
- Blueberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Classic Coleslaw
- Spinach Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette
Have a delicious day!