Looking for something a little different for dinner? I know I yam. haha This Potato, Yam and Chickpea Coconut Curry is so flavourful and delicious. And easy!
Chickpea Coconut Curry Recipe Snapshot:
EASE: Very easy!
VARIATION: Can be made in the slow cooker or oven.
MEATLESS: A flavourful vegetarian dish.
Flavourful and SO delicious.
This is a flavourful dish of chickpeas, sweet potato, potatoes, and peas simmered in an onion, garlic, ginger, curry, coconut milk, peanut butter sauce. Served over rice. Seriously, how delicious! It really is as good as it sounds.
Slow Cooker Method:
As mentioned, this recipe can be made in either a slow cooker or baked in the oven. To make in a slow cooker, proceed with the recipe as listed below, but add the ingredients to the slow cooker instead. Cook covered on LOW for about 4 hours, or until the veggies are tender (stir a couple of times during cooking). After about 2 hours stir in 1 cup of frozen peas, and cook for about 10 more minutes.
Serve this Potato, Yam and Chickpea Coconut Curry over steamed rice or with coconut rice, and with a green veggie (more green peas or green beans) or side salad.
Potato, Yam and Chickpea Coconut Curry
This is the oven method.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- 2 cups yam or sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups potato, peeled and cubed (about 2 potatoes)
- 1 (19 oz) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 tbsp mild curry paste
- 1 (400 mL) can coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup frozen peas
- To an oven proof casserole dish add the cubed yam, potatoes and chickpeas. Set aside.
- In a frying pan cook the onion, garlic and ginger in 1 tbsp oil. Cook until the onion is soft.
- Then add the curry paste to the onion mixture, stir, and cook for 1 minute. Add this mixture to the casserole dish.
- In another bowl combine the coconut milk, broth, peanut butter and salt. Mix well (I like to use a hand blender to do this).
- Pour the coconut milk mixture over the yam mix. Stir.
- Cover and bake for about 2 hours, or until the veggies are tender.
- Make sure to stir a few times during the cooking process.
- After about 2 hours stir in 1 cup of frozen peas, and bake for about 10 more minutes.
- Serve over rice.
Keywords: chickpea dinner, chickpea coconut curry
Recipe adapted from Canadian Living Magazine
Have a delicious day!