If you’re looking for a go-to Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Recipe, this is it! This buttercream is creamy, chocolatey and so good. Absolute perfection on chocolate cake!
This is my most favourite chocolate buttercream…it really is the best chocolate frosting ever! When ever I serve it, I get rave reviews and always get asked for the recipe. It’s so creamy. So chocolatey. And so flavourful.
Chocolate Frosting for Cakes + Cupcakes
This is THE perfect frosting for cakes and cupcakes, especially birthday cakes. It’s rich with chocolate flavour, soft and easy to spread, and the recipe makes a big batch.
Chocolate Frosting Tips & Tricks
- Cocoa Powder: Any unsweetened cocoa powder or dutch process cocoa can be used. The more flavourful, the better the chocolate taste.
- Icing Sugar: Also known as powdered sugar or confectioners sugar.
- Butter: I use salted butter. Make sure it’s at room temperature. You can use unsalted butter, but if you do, I would add a pinch of salt to the frosting.
- Milk: You can use milk or cream or heavy cream.
- The key is in the whipping! For the most fluffy, soft and creamy frosting, whip, whip, whip, making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl often!
- For thicker frosting: use less milk. Thicker frosting is better for piping.
- For thinner frosting: slowly add more milk until it is the consistency that you want.
- If the frosting is too thin, add more icing sugar until it is the desired consistency.
- Make Ahead: This frosting can be made several days ahead. Just store it in an airtight container in the fridge. When you’re ready to ice your cake, first let it come up to room temperature, and stir it before spreading it on your cake (let it sit on the counter for at least 30 minutes).
PIN IT to make later!
Have a delicious day!