How to Make Slow Cooker Pulled Pork. A simple and delicious recipe for pulled pork, with 7+ ideas for how to serve it!
When most people think of pulled pork they think of pulled pork sandwiches. But pulled pork can be so much more than that! By making a big batch of slow cooker pulled pork, you’ve got several options for dinner, making it a perfect meal planning staple. When I see cuts of pork like tenderloins and roasts go on sale at the grocery store, I’ll often buy a couple with the intent to cook them in the slow cooker. I like having pulled pork around to create different meals with…it’s such a handy ingredient!
This Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Recipe is very basic and easy to assemble. There are no dominant flavours or spices, so you can use the meat in a number of different recipes, it’s very versatile. Basically I add a roast to a slow cooker, pour in some broth, add onions, garlic and spices, then let the slow cooker do all the work from there.
And after a few hours, you end up with tender and flavourful pork that is ready to shred and use in a variety of recipes.
Pulled Pork Recipe Tips:
- I like to shred the cooked pork then return it to the broth in the slow cooker and simmer it a little longer to get even more moisture into the meat. I’ll let it simmer about 15 minutes or so on low.
- When it comes time to strain the meat, I like to keep a little bit of the broth back for moisture. The extra broth is handy for mixing in sauces and extra spices.
How to Use Pulled Pork:
Now it’s time to put all that delicious pulled pork to good use! Here are some recipe ideas for you:
- Make Pulled Pork Sandwiches. This is a classic way to serve pulled pork.
- Stir in some of your favourite BBQ sauce and serve over mashed potatoes. This is one of my most favourite ways to serve pulled pork.
- Add taco seasoning to the pulled pork then use in tacos, fajitas and quesadillas.
- Put it in sandwiches. These are great for kids lunches.
- Sprinkle it on pizza. Try a pizza with BBQ sauce, mozzarella cheese, pineapple and pulled pork. Yum!
- Use it in Shepherds Pie. Substitute the beef for pulled pork.
- Add it to baked potatoes. For a full meal bake some potatoes, put out a selection of baked potato fixings and add pulled pork as one of the toppings.
- Use it in stuffed peppers. This is a great recipe…just substitute the chicken for pulled pork.
- Sprinkle it over nachos. This is a delicious change from ground beef.
Pulled pork with BBQ saucePrint
How to Make Slow Cooker Pulled Pork. A simple and delicious recipe for pulled pork, with ideas for how to serve it!
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 lb pork shoulder
- 2 onions (sliced thin)
- 4 cloves garlic (sliced thin)
- 1 cup beef broth
- Combine the brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and pepper.
- Rub the sugar/spice mix all over the pork.
- To your slow cooker pot, add the sliced onions, garlic and beef broth.
- Lay the pork on top of the onion mixture.
- Cover the dish and bake for 8 hours on LOW or 4 hours on HIGH. Recipe tip: If possible, turn the roast over a couple of times during the cooking time.
- When the pork is done, remove it from the broth. Put the broth aside.
- Using 2 forks, shred the pork.
- Option: return the shredded pork to the slow cooker with about 1/2 cup of the reserved broth. Simmer for about 15 minutes more.
- Now your shredded pork is ready to use!
Keywords: pork, pulled pork, slow cooker pork
Have a delicious day!