This Easy and Cheesy Hashbrown Breakfast Bake is perfect for brunch this weekend! Make it the day you want it, or make it the night before. This recipe is great for weekend brunch, special occasions and the holidays!
If you’re looking for a simple and delicious breakfast idea, this is it. Assemble this dish in just minutes and breakfast will be ready and on the table in just over 1 hour. Which makes this a perfect recipe for the holiday season!
Breakfast Bakes are great all year round!
I love a good breakfast bake any time of year…there’s just something so great about doing all the assembling for a dish in minutes, then popping it in the oven to bake. Pretty stress free. This is especially helpful during the holiday season when we’re all so busy planning, cooking and visiting! Anything we can do to alleviate some of our stress, I’m all for it!
Yes you can make it ahead!
This Easy and Cheesy Hashbrown Breakfast Bake is SO delicious. I have made it several times for my family, and they love it! In fact, this is going to be on the menu Christmas morning this year…I plan on assembling it on Christmas Eve, then popping it in the oven in the morning while the kids open their gifts.
Let’s talk flavour!
This dish is so flavourful…made with eggs, cheese, hashbrowns, bacon or ham, onions and peppers…so many great flavours all in one dish. And all the things you love about breakfast all in one recipe…love that.
What to serve with it?
This dish is great as a stand alone meal, but it’s also great served with toast and a fruit salad…a perfect brunch combination!
A bit about the Ingredients:
- Eggs: Make sure to whisk the eggs well. The egg/milk mixture should be smooth (sometimes I will give it a quick pulse with my hand blender).
- Milk: You can use whole milk, or even 2% milk. I prefer whole milk…it makes this dish creamy.
- Cheese: You can use any kind of cheese for this dish. Our favourite is a Havarti and Monterey Jack blend, but cheddar, marble and mozzarella work well too.
- Meat: Ham or bacon both work perfect in this recipe.
- Peppers: I add the equivalent of 1 cup of chopped bell peppers (red, green, yellow or orange all work). You can add more if you like.
- Hashbrowns: You can use either frozen or thawed shredded hashbrowns. I use a 20 ounce bag, which is roughly 4 cups.
- Garnish: Make sure to garnish with fresh green onion…they add the perfect finishing touch.
- Pan Size: Use a 9×13 baking dish for this recipe.
- Make Ahead: Yes, you can make this ahead of time! Assemble everything the night before, without the cheese, then put it in the fridge until the morning. Then in the morning, sprinkle it with the shredded cheese and bake.
- Let it Rest: Make sure to let this dish rest for at least 5 – 10 minutes so you can cut nice tidy squares.
- Leftovers: Leftovers are delicious! Just store them in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Watch the video!
– – – – – –
This Easy and Cheesy Hashbrown Breakfast Bake is perfect for brunch this weekend! Make it the day you want it, or make it the night before.
- 1 – 20 oz package of shredded potatoes
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 green onions, chopped (set aside about 1 tbsp for garnish)
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/2 green pepper, minced
- 1/2 red pepper, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped ham or bacon
- 3 1/2 cups shredded cheese (Havarti, marble, cheddar or your favourite)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- To a 9 x 13 baking dish, add the 1/4 cup of melted butter, and spread it out over the bottom of the baking dish.
- Layer the shredded potatoes on the bottom of the dish.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk until smooth.
- Stir in the onions, peppers, salt, pepper and ham or bacon. Mix well.
- Pour the egg mixture over the shredded potatoes.
- Sprinkle on the cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. The egg bake will be done when it no longer jiggles in the centre.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with fresh minced green onion.
- Cut into 12 squares and enjoy!
- Category: Breakfast
Keywords: hashbrown casserole, hashbrown bake, egg bake
More Delicious Christmas Morning Breakfast Recipes:
- Crustless Quiche
- Oven Baked Bacon and Egg Breakfast Cups
- Overnight Sausage and Egg Breakfast Bake
- Bacon and Egg Quiche
Have a delicious day!