These are my Mom’s Melt-In-Your-Mouth Sugar Cookies, and they’re the best Christmas cookie! Soft, delicate and so delicious!
It’s day 4 of my Christmas Cookie Extravaganza! Are your pants tight yet? 😉 Today I bring to you Sugar Cookies! And not just sugar cookies, but Mom’s Melt-In-Your-Mouth Sugar Cookies! For me, the holidays just don’t feel like the holidays without these delectable little treats! Sugar cookies are a must have. You can always find them on a plate somewhere at every gathering, potluck, or party this time of year! They’re just that good!
You may have your own family recipe, but today I’ll share mine! Just in case you need a new recipe to add to your recipe box! These sugar cookies really are soft and melt-in-your-mouth good! And um, they’re very low-cal. Yes. Yes they are…at least that’s what I tell myself this time of year… 😉
Ok, maybe they aren’t low-cal, but they are wonderful for gift giving! And they’re pretty! That counts right?!
Sugar Cookie Recipe Tips:
- Flour: Use all-purpose flour.
- Powdered Sugar: Also called confectioner’s or icing sugar.
- Cream of Tartar: If you don’t have this, you can use an equal amount of baking powder instead.
- Refrigerate the dough before baking. Make sure to do this. These cookies need the resting and cooling time for best baking.
- Freezing: These cookies freeze well after they are baked. I have not frozen the dough, so I’m not sure how that would work, but I would definitely try it…I don’t see why it wouldn’t freeze well.
- Toppings: For these cookies I used edible sparkle sprinkles (add them after the cookies have baked and cooled). You could use regular sprinkles or even coarse sugar instead.
- Is this a good recipe for cut outs? No. This is a drop cookie and the batter will not roll easily for cookie cutting.
Mom's Melt-In-Your-Mouth Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 cup oil canola or vegetable
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the butter, oil and sugars.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. Then add the vanilla. Mix until nice and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, cream of tartar and baking soda.
- Add the flour mix to the butter mix, and combine until fluffy.
- Let the dough rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes or longer.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- When ready to bake, drop the batter by the tablespoons onto the cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, making sure not to let them brown!
- If you like you can decorate your cookies! Depending on the type of sprinkles you decide to decorate with, you can sprinkle them on before you bake them. The sprinkles I used here are too delicate for baking so I sprinkled them on after.
I hope you are enjoying these Christmas cookie recipes! I know I’m having fun making/eating them for you! If you missed my other cookie recipes you can find them here: Mint Chocolate Chip Blizzard Cookies, Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies and Mincemeat Oatmeal Thumbprints. Yum.
More of my Favourite Christmas Cookies!
Candy Cane Crumble Nutella Cookies
Whipped Vanilla Shortbread
Peppermint Kiss Sugar Cookies
Brown Sugar Shortbread
Eggnog Icebox Cookies
Melt-in-your-mouth Sugar Cookies