This Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese is quick and delicious meal that can be on your table in under 1 hour! Perfect for busy nights.
Take a creamy cheesy homemade stovetop macaroni and cheese to a tasty new level by adding some broccoli. This Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese is a delicious family friendly meal!
Great for busy nights!
This Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese is a great dinner option for busy nights! From start to finish you can have it ready in about 35 minutes, which is perfect for weeknights when every one is hungry. Another reason I love this dish is because it’s a meal all in one! But if you want, you can serve it on the side with oven roasted chicken.
Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese Recipe Tips:
- CHEESE: For extra flavourful mac + cheese use old cheddar. Or if you prefer a more mild flavour you can use a medium cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese. Make sure to grate extra cheese to melt on to the top!
- MILK: If you don’t have evaporated milk, you can also use 2%, whole milk or heavy cream or a mixture (about 3 1/2 cups total). The evaporated milk just adds a nice creaminess to this dish, but a milk with a higher fat content will work too.
- BROCCOLI: You can use fresh or frozen broccoli.
- SERVING SUGGESTION: You can serve the macaroni in individual dishes with melted cheese on top.
- Sprinkle on some extra grated cheese to each dish, and line the dishes up on a cookie sheet in the oven. Broil until the cheese is melted, bubbling and light brown.
- LEFTOVERS: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Leftovers are great for school lunches.
Don’t add all of the cooked noodles at once to the sauce. I like to add the noodles slowly so I can see the creaminess that we like. If you feel like there are too many noodles and not enough sauce, hold back on some of the noodles (you can save any extra cooked noodles for a pasta salad).
Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese
Take a creamy cheesy homemade stovetop macaroni and cheese to a tasty new level by adding some broccoli. This is a delicious family friendly meal!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (370 mL) can evaporated milk
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 lb dried elbow macaroni
- 2 cups fresh or frozen broccoli (chopped into bite size pieces)
- extra grated cheese for the top (about 1 cup)
- In a large pot, boil the pasta according to package directions.
- When it is cooked, drain the water. Set aside.
- In a pot of boiling water, cook the broccoli until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- In the meantime, melt the butter in a saucepan, and add the garlic. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the flour, and stir to make a paste.
- Then slowly pour in the milk, while whisking, and cook until the sauce is thickened.
- Add the mustard, paprika and salt. Whisk.
- Sprinkle in the cheese, and stir the mixture continuously until it is melted.
- Toss the pasta with the cheese sauce. Add the broccoli and stir.
- Pour the macaroni mixture in an oven proof dish and sprinkle on about 1 cup of grated cheese.
- Place the dish in the oven under broil, and broil until the cheese is melted, bubbling and light brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli, homemade mac and cheese, broccoli mac and cheese
More Mac + Cheese Recipes:
Have a delicious day!