After just a few minutes of prep, you can have a delicious and hearty Slow Cooker / Crockpot Roast Beef and Gravy ready for you at the end of the day!
- 1 – 4 lb boneless beef chuck or cross rib roast
- 2 tbsp oil (vegetable or olive)
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 3 carrots (chopped)
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pat the roast with paper towel to remove moisture, then season with salt & fresh ground pepper.
- In a skillet at medium-high heat, heat up the oil, then brown the meat on all sides.
- Add the browned roast to the crockpot.
- To the same skillet (turn down the heat to low-medium), add another tablespoon of oil, and cook the onions, carrots and garlic until soft. Make sure to scrape and mix in all of the delicious brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Then add the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the beef broth, wine, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, salt and basil. Stir until slightly thickened.
- Pour the sauce into the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 8 hours. If you can, turn the roast occasionally as it cooks.
- Once the roast has finished cooking, you can transfer the roast to a plate, then blend the sauce using a hand blender to make a nice gravy.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and a vegetable!