So I made these brownies over the weekend, and posted a picture on Instagram before they went into the oven. Then when I went to take a final picture of them for the blog I was in a hurry because I was taking them over to a friends house for dinner that night. And of course my final pictures of them didn’t turn out. Le sigh. But the good news is these brownies DID turn out. Like they were so delicious that my neighbour’s husband did indeed declare a brownie show down. Bring it on I say, bring it on. 😉
You can eat these brownies about an hour or so after they have baked, but they are really warm and kind of messy…which would make them great with vanilla ice cream. BUT, let these sit for at least 3 hours, or even chill them, they are divine. Dense, rich, chewy and so so chocolatey! A brownie at its best!Print
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp flour
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
The Cream Cheese Swirl
- 8 oz chocolate cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9×9 inch square baking pan. You can lightly grease and dust the pan (see notes), or I like to line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan on low heat, melt together the butter and sugar. Then transfer the mixture into a mixing bowl, and set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
- Once the sugar mix has cooled slightly, add the eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry. Mix well.
- Add the chocolate chips. Set aside.
The Cream Cheese Swirl:
- Beat together the chocolate cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and egg yolk, until well combined and smooth.
Putting it all together:
- Once you have the brownie mix all ready, spread half of the batter in your prepared baking dish.
- Then add half of the cream cheese mix in clumps over your brownie. (If you want to see a picture of what this looks like, refer to my other brownie post here.)
- Using a knife, swirl the cream cheese mix, until you have a marbling effect like in the pictures above.
- Then spread on the remaining brownie batter.
- Then add the remaining cream cheese batter in clumps, and swirl again.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes – mine took longer – I had to bake it for 1 hr 30 min. The brownie will be done when the edges of the brownie have puffed, the centre of the cake feels firm to the touch, and a toothpick when inserted comes out clean.
- When the cake is done, remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours.
Use cocoa powder instead of flour to dust your pan. That way, you won’t see the flour on your brownies!
Recipe adapted from this recipe.
– – – –
Here’s a picture of the brownie after it was baked…it’s not a great photo but it’s all I had. But trust me, this brownie was delicious!