A comprehensive list of baking essentials to keep in your pantry. With these ingredients at your fingertips you should be able to bake to your hearts content!
Welcome to my pantry! Ok, maybe not really my pantry, but an in-depth look at what I keep on hand for baking!
Every once in a while I like to take a look at what I’ve got in my pantry and stock up. Baking is so much more fun when you’re not constantly running out to the grocery store buying ingredients that you don’t have. So I figured while I was re-stocking my pantry, I would help you stock yours! I often get e-mails asking me for baking tips and questions about ingredients, so this is a good chance for me to answer some of the very basics of baking…and I’m not a baking expert, just a home baker who’s made a few recipes in my time.
Stocking up a Baking Pantry
So here’s my list for the basic baking ingredients I like to keep on hand. These are for everyday simple recipes like cookies, cakes, quick breads and loaves, desserts, and breads. With these ingredients at your fingertips you should be able to bake to your hearts content!
Building a Baking Pantry…stocking up on the essentials!
- Flours: All Purpose, Whole Wheat, Cake Flour, Oat Flour
- Oats: Quick Oats and Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- Oat Bran: I like to add oat bran to pancakes, cookies, muffins, and breads.
- Wheat Germ
- Corn Meal
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Cream of Tartar
- Corn Starch
- Sugars: Brown Sugar, Granulated Sugar, Icing (Confectioner’s Sugar)
- Corn Syrup
- Spices: Cinnamon, Ground Ginger, Nutmeg, Ground Cloves, Allspice
- Cocoa Powder
- Vanilla Extract
- Other Dried Fruit: Apricots, Cranberries
- Chocolate Chips: Milk Chocolate, Semi Sweet
- Baking Chocolate Squares (Semi-Sweet)
- Nuts: Almonds, Pecans, Walnuts
- Coconut: Shredded Sweetened, Shredded Unsweetened
- Marshmallows (for last minute rice crispie squares!)
- Coconut Milk: Coconut milk is a great milk alternative, and it adds great flavour to baking.
- Almond Milk: This is also a great milk alternative in baking.
- Evaporated Milk
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Powdered Milk
- Vegetable Oil
- White Vinegar
- Peanut Butter
- Extracts: Almond, Mint
- Canned Pumpkin
- Canned Peaches
- Canned Pie Fillings
- Jello Packages
- Dried Yeast
Stocking the fridge for baking:
- Eggs: I always use large eggs.
- Butter: Salted or Unsalted. I always prefer to use salted butter, but will cut down on the salt in my recipes to accommodate.
- Cream Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Yogurt: Plain or Greek
- Powdered Milk (in the freezer)
- Puffed Pastry (in the freezer)
Here is a checklist that you can print off and use to get your pantry stocked! Just drag the checklist image below on to your desktop and print it off.
Now that your pantry is stocked you can get baking! Make sure to check out my collection of Classic Baking Recipes.
What am I missing? Do you have any other ingredients to add to this list? Leave a note in the comments!