Black Russian Grilled Cheese
One of the greatest things about blogging is the opportunity to review and try new things! I especially love to review cookbooks! I am (and always have been) an avid cookbook collector. So to be able to add new cookbooks to my collection is just amazing!
Recently I was sent 150 best grilled cheese sandwiches by Alison Lewis, and I have to say I really like this book! If you think you know your grilled cheese sandwiches, think again! Really, there are at least 150 ways to make them! I love the idea of taking the great old grilled cheese sandwich and upping the ante!
One of the recipes that we really enjoyed was the Black Russian. Ham, coarse mustard, Brie cheese on pumpernickel. Yeeeeeuuum. We liked this sandwich so much in fact, that we are going to be serving it as a light lunch on Christmas Day. It’s full of flavour and not too heavy!
Black Russian Grilled Cheese
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1/2 cup stone-ground mustard (or Dijon is amazing too!)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 8 slices of pumpernickel bread (thickly sliced)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 oz Black Forest ham
- 4 oz Brie cheese
- In a bowl mix together the mustard, parsley and lemon zest.
- Brush one side of each of the slices of bread with olive oil.
- Spread the mustard mixture evenly on the insides of the bread slices (the side without the oil).
- Add the ham and Brie cheese.
- Cover with a slice of bread (olive oil side out). Press together gently.
- Cook in a preheated panini press or skillet. If you are using a skillet, flip the sandwiches once and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy right away!
So the next time you set out to make a grilled cheese sandwich, think outside the box. You might be surprised!
Have a delicious day!
So in full disclosure, I was sent a copy of this book to review, but all opinions about it are 100% my own. No money was exchanged. Just good old fashioned recipe loving. 😉
My stomach just started grumbling! This looks out of this world. I Think I need to snag a copy of Allison’s book!
Love Black Forest Ham. Pumpernickle Bread will be perfect to Christmas Lunch. Many we should blog about how many recipes and/or cookbooks we have hoarded through our love (addiction).
I dreamed about these sandwiches at work today – so deeelish! Perhaps I could pack a lunch with a “mummy’d” up malted beverage?
My goodness – those look terrific!! I know you didn’t come up with the name, but they seem decidedly German – Pumpernickel, black forest ham and grainy mustard. Like a recipe Oma would dream up. 😉
Holy Smokes! This looks so ooey-gooey and Amazing. I have been craving a grilled cheese – now I am really craving!
That’s one good looking sandwich….yumm…xo
Seriously?! Why did I not see this post BEFORE I went to the market!?!?!? YUMMMM! Making this one for lunch this weekend! xo
i looove fancified grilled cheese!
Oh my word these look amazing. My husband would love these! Ok pinning now 🙂