Recipe adapted from The Looneyspoons Collection This recipe works best if you make each part of the stir fry in this order…
- the juice from 1 can pineapple chunks (Set aside the pineapple chunks)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup white or rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp of chili powder (More if you want it more spicy)
The Meat (see tips)
- 1 lb pork tenderloin or 1 lb sirloin steak or 4 chicken breast halves – cut into strips
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced thin
- 2 celery stalks, sliced thin
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped into bite size pieces
- the pineapple chunks from the can you used in the sauce
- 1 cup green sugar snap peas
- Combine all the above ingredient to make the sauce. (For the pineapple, just use the juice for the sauce, and set aside the pineapple chunks for later.)
- I found using a little hand blender worked great to mix this together really well.
- Set aside the sauce until you are ready to use it.
- In a wok or deep frying pan, heat the oil.
- Add the meat of your choice, the ginger and the garlic.
- Cook for about 7 minutes until the meat is cooked through and slightly browned. Stir often.
- When the meat is cooked, remove it from the pan and set it aside in a bowl, and cover it with tin foil to keep it warm. Now it’s time to cook the veggies!
- To the wok, add all of the above veggies, except the pineapple chunks and the sugar snap peas. Note: You might have to add more oil to the pan.
- Stirring often, cook the veggies until they are tender but not over cooked, about 5 minutes. We say the crunchier the better!
Putting it all together
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add the cooked meat, pineapple chunks, sugar snap peas and the sauce.
- Cook until the sauce is bubbly and thickened.
- Serve over brown rice.