A delicious and classic beef dip recipe that you can make in your crockpot or slow cooker!
– – – – – –
Beef dip is a quintessential classic comfort food. As a kid, every time we would go out for dinner the first thing I would look for on the menu was beef dip. There is something so delicious about a bun filled with tender meat and onions, dipped in a flavourful au jus. So good.
Even now as an adult I will often order a beef dip…one of the best ones I have ever had was from a little restaurant in Revelstoke, BC called Three Bears. It’s gone now, but I will never forget their beef dip…it was smothered in cooked red peppers, onions and horseradish. When I took my first bite I was MIND BLOWN at the peppers and horseradish, as I only ever had a beef dip served in it’s classic form. Now I can’t eat a beef dip without them.
This recipe is made in the crockpot which I love because I can have dinner pretty much ready by 10 in the morning, and I have all day to let it cook and get all tender and delicious. Then come supper time, all I have to do is shred the meat with a fork, set the table with all of the fixings and dinner is ready.
On a side note I have to tell you how much I love my crockpot…this one is the Breville Risotto Plus. It’s awesome because I can saute the meat right in it before I set it to cook. A crockpot that can saute is the best invention ever, and perfect for recipes like this.
This is a great dinner for any time…weeknights, Sunday dinner, summer, fall or winter. Easy, tasty and healthy!
Slow Cooker / Crockpot Beef Dip Recipe
Crockpot Beef Dip:
- 1 - 4 lb beef roast I like to use inside rounds - they are inexpensive and tasty after long roasting
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- salt & pepper
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 can beef consomme
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 onions sliced
- 2 leaves bay
- 1/2 - 1 tsp dried thyme
- salt & pepper
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1 large onion sliced
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- soft white buns
- provolone cheese
- horseradish optional
- In a skillet heat up the 1 tbsp of oil, then sear the roast on all sides, making sure to salt and pepper each side as you go.
- Once the beef is seared, add it the the crockpot with the remaining ingredients. Make sure to mix all of the ingredients together.
- Set the crockpot to low, and cook for 6 hours.
- After the cooking time, you can either slice the roast, or shred the meat using 2 forks.
Skillet pepper and onions:
- In a skillet heat up about a tsp of oil, then saute the sliced peppers and onions. Season with salt and pepper.
Putting it all together:
- Serve the beef in buns with provolone cheese, the cooked peppers and onions, horseradish if you wish, and with the broth for dipping.
Recipe adapted from and inspired by Carlsbad Cravings
– – – – –
Recipe tips & tricks:
- These buns would be SO delicious if you toasted them first with the cheese. Slice the buns, then lay them on a cookie sheet with slices of cheese on the open faces, then broil for a few minutes until the cheese is melted. Then add the beef and toppings and enjoy!
- For a deeper, more rich flavour, substitute all consomme for the beef broth.
- Use any leftover beef and broth in a beef barley soup the next day.
I hope you love it!
More Delicious Slow Cooker Recipes:
Have a delicious day!
This post contains an affiliate link. Thank you for supporting A Pretty Life Blog!