These Butter Tart Squares with A Shortbread Cookie Crust are sweet and taste just like a Butter Tart. Perfect for the holidays!
If you love butter tarts but don’t want the fuss of making them, this Butter Tart Square is an easy and delicious alternative. Tastes just like butter tarts but with a shortbread crust! So good.
These Butter Tart Squares are so so flavourful. The shortbread crust is tender and buttery, the filling is creamy and sweet and filled with raisins, coconut and pecans. The combination is DELICIOUS.
Perfect for the holidays.
This dessert always seems to come out for the holiday season, I think because of the shortbread crust. But really, it’s delicious any time of year. What I love about it during Christmas is that it makes a big batch…you can have 24-36 bite size squares cut for dessert, parties and potlucks. So good.
Butter Tart Square Recipe Tips
- Nuts: I always add pecans to this square, but you can also use walnuts. If you want to make this nut free, that’s just fine, leave them out and add about 1/4 cup more raisins or coconut.
- Shortbread Crust: Bake the crust for about 10-12 minutes before adding the filling.
- Let it cool completely. Trust me. Don’t try to cut into this too early or you will end up with a soft mess. Let it cool. You can even put it in the fridge for a couple of hours, this makes it much easier to cut.
- A little goes a long way. I cut this pan into 24 squares. The squares may look small, but this is a sweet treat, and a little goes a long way.
- Make it ahead! This is a perfect dessert to make ahead of time. You can make it 2-3 days ahead, and just keep it covered in the fridge until you’re ready to serve it.
Recipe from Best of Bridge
PIN IT to make later!