Have you ever had a turkey burger? You should. No really, you should. They are the most scrumptious, lean and juicy burger you will ever have.
So when I was contacted by the Turkey Farmers of Canada about participating in their Great Grilling Turkey Trial, I happily agreed! I have no problem spreading the word on how scrumptious turkey is, because we love turkey in our home, all year round, summer included! And I knew just the recipe I wanted to share with you!
This recipe is one of our favourites for summer time grilling. It’s a little bit summer BBQ and a little bit Thanksgiving turkey. The herbs in these burgers, combined with the cranberry mayonnaise makes for the perfect turkey burger. Serve with potato salad for a great summer dinner!
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 3/4 tsp ground sage
- salt & pepper to taste (I use them generously)
- 1/2 cup whole berry cranberry sauce (basically half a can, and just freeze the rest for later)
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
Making the burgers:
- In a bowl combine all the above ingredients.
- Shape into burger patties in the size of your choice. From my experience with using ground turkey, there isn't much shrinkage during cooking. They are so meaty that they tend to stay pretty much the same size. Bonus!
- Tip! These burgers are best if they have a chance to refrigerate for at least 1 hour or more. This allows for all the flavours to infuse and the burgers to set.
- On a medium to high heat BBQ, cook the burgers until they reach an end point temperature of 165 degrees.
Making the Cranberry Mayo:
- Combine the cranberry sauce and mayonnaise.
- Refrigerate until you are ready to use.
Putting the burgers together:
- Once your burgers are cooked, stuff them in a bun, top them with the cranberry mayonnaise, and other toppings of your choice (lettuce, tomatoes, onions), and enjoy!
So don’t forget about turkey the next time you BBQ! Trust me, you won’t be sorry!
Have a delicious day!