These Saskatoon Berry Butter Tarts are a delicious twist on a classic Canadian treat! Also learn how to make Saskatoon pie filling and how to freeze these delicious berries!
Saskatoon Berry Pie Filling:
- 2 cups Saskatoon berries
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp corn starch (or flour)
Butter Tart Filling:
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 tbsp cream
- 1 cup raisins (seedless)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening (lard)
- 1/4 cup water
Making the Saskatoon Berry Filling:
- In a saucepan, mix together the berries and water and simmer for 10 minutes over low-medium heat.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the sugar and cornstarch.
- Then add the sugar/flour mix to the berries and combine.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- Simmer until the mixture slightly thickens.
- Set aside to cool.
Making the Butter Tart Filling:
- First beat together the eggs.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter.
- Then add the sugar, vanilla, cream, raisins and beaten eggs to the saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, and boil for 3 minutes.
- Set aside.
Making the Pie Crust:
- Sift flour and salt into a bowl.
- With a pie cutter, cut in shortening until the particles are pea sized.
- Sprinkle in water, 1 tsp or so at a time, mixing lightly with a fork. Don’t over mix or the crust will be tough.
- Press into a ball. It is okay if it is crumbly. In fact crumbly makes for a tender, flaky crust!
Putting the Tarts together:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the pie dough to about an 1/8 of an inch thickness.
- Using a 3 inch circle (like a drinking glass, or cookie cutter), cut out your tart shells, either 12 or 15. I rework any extra dough to make more tarts.
- Place the tart shells into a muffin tin.
- Add a heaping tablespoon of the butter tart mixture into the shell, then add a tablespoon of the Saskatoon pie filling on top of the butter tart filling. Do NOT mix.
- Bake for 18 – 20 minutes, or until the crust is slightly browned.
- Let the tarts cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then remove them onto a cooling rack.
- Category: Pie
Keywords: butter tart, saskatoon butter tarts, saskatoon pie