Homemade Kids Playdough
Make this Homemade Kids Playdough Recipe in just minutes with simple ingredients! Have fun with the colours!
We have the best sitter for our kids! The kids love to have her around, and she always comes with a fun activity for them to do! This past weekend, when the hubby & I went out to see The Hunger Games, we had her come sit, and she brought homemade playdough for each of them! So fun! They have been playing with it non-stop, and she left the recipe for us! It’s easy to make, and the dough is so soft and nice to work with!
Homemade Kids Playdough Tips!
- If you want dough in different colours, just separate out the dough evenly, and colour as you wish.
- Instead of food colouring use a package of Kool-Aid for a fun colour and smell alternative. Just mix the package of Kool-Aid into the flour before adding water!
- Refrigerate the dough in an air-tight container between uses.
Homemade Kids Playdough
Make this Playdough in just minutes with simple ingredients! Have fun with the colours!
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1/4 cup water
- food colouring of your choice
- 1 tsp oil
- In a medium saucepan combine the salt, flour and cream of tartar.
- In a separate measuring cup combine 1/4 cup water and food colouring.
- Add the water mix and 1 tsp of oil to the flour mix.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until it starts to pull together.
- Remove from heat and continue to stir until a ball forms.
- Transfer to the counter and knead a few times.
- As it cools, a crust will form, keep kneading.
- If necessary, wet your hands and work back to the desired consistency.
- Refrigerate when not in use.
Keywords: homemade playdough, playdough
If you’re looking for more great ideas for kids, make sure to visit my other projects here.
wow, that sounds easy enough!!! I bet it’d be fun for my little lady (almost 4) and I to make together. I used to HATE playdough (the mess!), but… now that I’ve got 2 kids, I love it – it entertains her and I’ve let go… a lot 🙂
I used to make this exact playdough recipe for my kids and now make it for my 3 grandsons…it’s the best stuff ever! Many hours of memories!!
What a cool sitter! I need to find one of those (sitter ha). This is such a fun idea–plus making anything yourself is always so much more fun! Great post Jo-Anna
So jealous of your sitter – we had a fabulous one but then she had to go and have a baby! So selfish, right? 🙂 I love the pretty colors in the playdough.
I have grown to love the homemade stuff better than the store bought. I hate the smell of playdough! lol!
The homemade stuff is a lot softer and you get so much more for your money that way…even with the kool aid added!
Thanks for sharing!
love it. I just pinned it
I’ve used a similar recipe using cake frosting food coloring. It provides a very vibrant color of playdough! I’ve used: 1 c. water, 1 c. flour, 1/2 c. salt, 1-2 Tbsp veg oil, 2 tsp cream of tartar. Add vanilla or peppermint extract for pleasant smell. Store in zip lock bag. My daughters are now adults, and I look back at our playdough times very fondly! Have fun!