How to Make a Fall Wool Sweater Pillow
How to Make a Fall Wool Sweater Pillow! A simple tutorial on how to turn an old sweater into a pretty pillow!
I really love to make things, especially this time of year. I’m so inspired by the season of fall, and a nesting frenzy takes over me! Craft supplies spew out of cupboards, glue is stuck to my table, we trip over my sewing machine. It’s kinda crazy here right now. Oh well.
And you know, because I need another project (insert sarcasm here), I decided to tackle a pillow. I am determined to become very good friends with my sewing machine as we haven’t spoken for a few months now. But I thought about making this pillow, and I knew I could handle the straight lines. I’m no seamstress, and trust me, this project is good enough. Not perfect. It doesn’t need to be. Good enough is good enough.
Come along and see what I did! If I can make this, so can you!
How to make a Fall Sweater Pillow:
- To make the pillow, I used an old wool sweater for the fabric. You may remember this sweater from my Cozy Fall Yarn Wreath post. It was a fabulous sweater belonging to my hubs, but I shrunk it. By accident, I swear! But now it’s a lovely pillow and yarn wreath! 😉
- I used a rectangular down filled pillow insert, and used this as the shape of my pillow.
- Basically I just fitted the sweater around the pillow insert, and cut the material to fit.
- To make things easier for me, I left one side of the sweater uncut, so I only ended up having to sew 3 sides. Sewing the two longest sides first, then stuffing the pillow cover, and sewing up the end.
- Now on to the Sunflower embellishment…
What you need to make a Felt Sunflower:
- 1 sheet of gold felt
- Another material in a different colour.
- glue gun
- safety pin
How to make a Felt Sunflower:
- Cut out one 2 inch circle for the base of the flower.
- Cut out 7 gold petals for the first layer of the flower.
- Cut out 7 rust petals for the next layer.
- Cut out 7, 2 inch strips of gold felt for the next layer.
- Cut out 5 smaller gold petals for the next layer.
- Cut out 3 smaller rust petals for the next layer
- For the centre of the flower, please refer to my dahlia tutorial.
Putting the flower on to the pillow:
You can either glue, sew or pin the flower on to the pillow. I chose to pin it on with a safety pin, in case I get tired of the flower, and want to switch it up!
PIN IT to make later!
Oh, that turned out so good! This is the time of year when I start to feel most crafty too 🙂
I love how it turned out!! The wool adds some texture to the room too!
I am loving every project of yours–first the yarn wreath, now this amazing little pillow 🙂 Keep it up–great job!
Totally fabulous!! LOVE!
This turned out beautiful! Way to go my friend!
I think the felt flower really makes the whole pillow! So pretty! 🙂
ooooh, and ahhhh! love it!
It’s beautiful! Great job 🙂
It’s beautiful! Turned out great! 🙂
That is so cool! I’m once again in awe of your craftiness.
GOrgeoUs!!!! I love love love it!
BEAUTIFUL! I just love your style!
I adore your site. WHat a darling project. So many great ideas and recipes. New follower! Can’t wait to check out more.
Awesome pillow! Thanks for sharing the knowledge!
You’re now one number closer to 1000,;)
This pillow is really nice, great work, I like it!
BEAUTIFUL! Screams fall so perfectly! I am so glad to have found you through The Shabby Nest. Great tutorial too!
-Robyn from http://tipsfromtheheart.blogspot.com
That pillow is perfect for fall! Thanks for sharing a tutorial for the flower! It is cute!
Very pretty!! Thanks for sharing!! I love “Fall” decoration projects!
I LOVE your pillow! So pretty and perfect for fall. Makes me feel cozy just looking at it! 🙂
Jo-Anna! I just love this pillow so, so much. I wish I could sew! It just has Fall written over it!! Thank you so much for sharing it with us at Inspiration Friday!
Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday – you were featured today!
– – Mandy, http://www.SugarBeeCrafts.com
What a great tutorial! This turned out so cute! I’d love for you to link up at DIY Thrifty Thursday at http://thrifty101.blogspot.com/2011/09/diy-thrifty-thursday-35.html
Hope to see you soon!
That pillow came out amazing. The flower embellishment is really super. I found you over at At The Picket Fence. So glad I did.
So pretty! Love the tutorial, too! Thanks for linking up to The “Autumn Décor” Talent Scouting Party at WhisperWood Cottage!
So pretty! Great tutorial, too! Thanks for linking up to The “Autumn Décor” Talent Scouting Party at WhisperWood Cottage!
P.S. I appreciate you putting a link to WhisperWood Cottage in your post! For this particular event, the actual party button is required for participation. If you’d like to add it and shoot me a quick email, I’ll make sure it shows in the linky right away! Thanks so much!
Your pillow is gorgeous!
Pretty and great photos.