Simple Spice Organization
Organize your kitchen spices using this Simple Spice Organization system! Create a drawer space to hold all of your spice jars so they’re easy to access and easy to use. Great tips and ideas!
If you’re dealing with a messy spice organizing system and are looking for spice organization ideas, then read on for some simple and practical tips to store spices and herbs!
Why choose a spice drawer organizing system?
Drawers are great for storing spices, they’re dark and cool, but not only that, I think a spice drawer system is the most easy way to access and see kitchen spices! For years I kept spices in the bags and jars they came in, and stored them all in a makeshift spice cabinet in my cupboards. This made for frustration every time I cooked or baked, which is a lot…so much clutter, spice bags falling out of the cupboard, no organization, constantly looking for things. Done with that. So I finally decided to create a spice drawer for all of my spice containers. A place for everything, and everything in its place.
An uncomplicated, simple spice storage system.
I wanted a spice storage system that was uncomplicated, easy to set up, easy to maintain, had easy access and looked nice. It seems funny, but I wanted all the jars to be uniform: look the same, be the same size and have pretty labels on them so that’s what I bought. Oh, and I also wanted the jars to be squared so they would lie flat in my drawers.
Tip! Lay Spice Jars Down
Laying spice jars down is the easiest way to see them. The key though, is to use squared spice jars so the jars stay in place and don’t roll all over the place.
How to get started:
Before you dive into organizing your spices, there are a few things you can do to get ready and make this organization task simple.
Simple Spice Organization Tips for Drawer Storage:
- Choose a drawer close to your stove! If you can, create a drawer space for your spices that is near your stove, so you can access them easily when you’re cooking.
- Choose matching jars: Not only does this look nice, but if all the jars are the same size and shape, they will line up much nicer.
- Use Glass Jars: With glass you can see when spices are getting low.
- Use squared jars: The square shape makes them stay in place, with no rolling all over the place.
- Label spice jars: This goes without saying! Label, label, label! And place the spice labels where you can see it, front and centre on the spice jar.
- Organize Spices Alphabetically: This makes it easy to find what you’re looking for.
- Lay the jars down: This makes the jars easy to see.
- Showcase the most used spices: Start filling the jars with your most used and most favourite spices.
- Spice Riser: If your kitchen drawers are deep enough, consider using a spice riser type of spice rack, it keeps all the jars in place. I didn’t use one because my drawers are not deep enough.
- Consider using a drawer tray or separator: to keep the jars neatly in a large drawer if that’s where you’re storing your spices.
Where to buy spice jars like these:
I found these spice jars on Amazon and I’m really happy with them! In fact I bought another set because I have a lot of spices still in bags, and I want to fill up my new spice drawer. I’m sharing an affiliate link to these jars, which means that I receive a small commission, but at no cost to you! Thank you for supporting ‘A Pretty Life in the Suburbs’, and helping to make this blog possible! xo
18 pc Spice jar set
Shop these spice jars here!
This set includes: 18 square glass spice jars with shaker lids and metal lids. Plus 98 preprinted spice label stickers (for the front and top of the jars), a foldable silicone funnel to help transfer spices, 1 sponge brush and straw brush for easy cleaning.
A bit more about this spice jar set:
I truly love this set. The jars and labels are pretty, I love the minimalist look. There are A LOT of labels, for almost every spice you can think of…there are even a few blank ones for anything they might have missed (I can’t possibly think of what though). The jars are a good size (I just wish there were more of them) and hold just enough spice in them…too much spice in too big of jars is not necessarily a good thing, I think spices keep fresh best in smaller quantities. Overall, a great value! (and no, I was not paid by them, I do not work for them, I just randomly found these jars and bought them).
I hope you found this storage solution useful! I just love sharing organization tips that work for me, in hopes that they might work for you too!
More Organizing Tips!
PIN IT for later!