It’s definitely winter in our part of the world. Right now I’m looking at over a foot of snow! It’s cold and snowy, but SO beautiful! And it’s this kind of weather that inspires me to get into the kitchen to make home-y, hearty dinners.
Like a lot of families, spaghetti is a favourite home-y dish here! My kids could eat it once a week if I made it! I’m trying to switch things up with this classic dish, so we aren’t eating the same thing all the time. So when I stumbled upon this recipe, I just knew it would be a great change!
A great thing about this recipe is you likely have the ingredients on hand. I love when I can make a delicious dinner without having to go out to the store for last minute ingredients. AND it’s even better if I can make dinner in under 1 hour…this is another one of those recipes! Yay for that!
This pasta recipe very simple to make, and it makes your home smell amazing while it’s cooking!Print
Tomato & Red Pepper Pasta with Italian Sausages
- olive oil
- 6 Italian sausages
- 2 large onions (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 red peppers (chopped)
- 1/2 cup red wine (or broth)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 – 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pureed butternut squash (optional)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & pepper
- Add enough olive oil to a large pan to lightly cover the surface of the pan.
- Add the sausages and cook on medium-high heat, until the sausages are nice and golden. After this time, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Remove most of the oil from the pan, then add the onions and cook until they start to caramelize, scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Once the onions are moist and golden brown, add the garlic and cook for a few minutes.
- Return the sausages to the pan, along with the red pepper. Stir for a few minutes.
- Add the wine (or broth), tomato paste, squash, diced tomatoes, oregano, bay leaves and salt & pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover with a lid, and simmer very gently for about 1 hour.
- Serve over the pasta of your choice: whole wheat spaghetti, penne, linguine.
- This is a very versatile recipe: You can add any kind of bell peppers of your choice, more garlic if you like! You could also add some shredded carrots, shredded zucchini, or squash puree for extra nutrition!
- The Italian sausages from Costco are the BEST! They’re so flavourful and very lean!
Recipe adapted from epicurious.com
Also, just in case you didn’t know already, I now have a tab specifically set up with all my dinners that you can make in 1 hour or less! Just click here!
I hope you enjoy it! Stay warm & delicious!