A classic and delicious recipe for lasagna! Made with layers of rich tomato sauce and ground beef, noodles, ricotta cheese and loads of shredded mozzarella and parmesan. So good.
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 – 14 oz can tomato sauce (plain, no spices)
- 1 – 19 oz can diced tomatoes (plain, no spices)
- 1 – 5.5 oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine (or beef broth)
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- salt & pepper
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 cups grated cheese (mozzarella, or a 4 cheese blend is super yummy!)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Making the meat sauce:
- Brown the ground beef with onions and garlic (season with salt and pepper as it browns). Drain.
- Add the tomatoes (and the juices), tomato sauce, tomato paste, wine, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, oregano, basil and salt and pepper.
- Simmer for about 1 hour, covered.
- While the sauce is simmering boil the noodles according to package directions. I like to boil mine until they are al dente. They will soften up more as they bake in the tomato sauce.
Putting together the lasagna:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a 9×13 baking dish.
- Layer the ingredients as follows: 1/2 of the meat sauce, 1/2 of the noodles, all of the ricotta cheese, 1 1/2 cup grated cheese, the remaining noodles, the remaining meat sauce, the remaining grated cheese, then sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, until the cheese is golden brown and bubbling.
- Let sit for 10 minutes, then serve!
- Category: Pasta