The Meat Sauce
- 1 – 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 – 14 oz can tomato sauce (plain, no spices)
- 1 – 19 oz can diced tomatoes (plain, no spices)
- 1 – 5.5 oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- salt & pepper
- 8 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups grated cheese (mozzarella, or a 4 cheese blend is super yummy!)
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
Making the meat sauce:
- Brown beef with onions and garlic. Drain.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, wine, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, oregano, basil and salt & pepper.
- Simmer for about 1 hour, covered.
Putting together the lasagna:
- At this point you can do either of 2 things: Make one big lasagna in a 9×13 dish, or make 2 lasagnas in 8×8 dishes. I find that for our family of 5, the 8×8 is the best. We get left with a small amount of leftovers, and another meal in the freezer!
- So then, layer the ingredients as follows: (this is for the 9×13, so adjust for the 8×8) 1/2 Meat sauce, 1/2 Noodles, 1/2 Ricotta Cheese, 1/2 Grated Cheese, 1/2 Meat Sauce, 1/2 Noodles, 1/2 Grated Cheese, Parmesan Cheese
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45-60 minutes
- Let sit for 10 minutes, then serve!