This Chimichurri marinade is a versatile, flavourful and delicious marinade! Perfect for inexpensive cuts of beef, but it’s also delicious for chicken!
- 1 1/2 lb flank steak
- 1 cup packed fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 4 – 6 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar (white wine vinegar works well too)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Using a blender, mix all of the ingredients together (minus the flank steak).
- Pierce your flank steak with a fork, making sure to pierce it on both the front and the back so that the steak can soak up the flavours of the marinade.
- I like to put the steak and the marinade into a ziplock bag to marinate, but you can use any dish that you like. Cover the steak in the marinade, making sure to coat both sides.
- Massage the bag so the steak is completely coated in the marinade.
- Let the steak marinade in the bag, in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, but overnight is best.
- Right before you are ready to grill, give the steaks one last good massage in the marinade.
Time to BBQ!
- Preheat your BBQ on the highest setting.
- NOTE: Marinated flank steak on the BBQ is easy to do, BUT it will flare the first time you set it on the grill! Please beware!! I’m talking full on flames! See picture above…
- With the BBQ on hight heat, sear both sides, then cook for approximately 7 minutes on each side, so roughly 15 minutes total. We like ours slightly pink inside, so you may want to cook yours longer.
- After you remove it from the grill, cover the steak with tin foil, and let it rest for about 5 minutes.
- When ready to serve, slice the steak thinly across the grain of the meat.
Recipe tip: You can freeze the meat and marinade in a ziplock bag. Just de-thaw before cooking.