A classic recipe for Beef Chili, loaded with beans, spices and loads of delicious flavour! The addition of bacon makes this chili especially tasty! Serve with cornbread, buns, rice or over a baked potato. SO delicious.
- 8 slices of cooked bacon (chopped)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green or red pepper
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 – 5.5 oz can tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/4 cups red wine (or use beef broth)
- 2 – 28 oz cans whole tomatoes
- 2 – 14 oz cans beans (kidney beans, chick peas, or brown beans, or corn)
- Brown the ground beef with the chopped onion, peppers and garlic.
- Add the bacon and cook. Drain off the fat, if necessary.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, sugar, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Cook and stir continually for 1 minute.
- Add the wine (or broth), tomatoes and beans.
- Bring to a low boil, then reduce the heat and simmer covered for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- After 1 hour, remove the lid and cook for 30 more minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve!
Keywords: beef chili, best beef chili, chili