These Chocolate Caramel Turtle Cookies are perfectly soft and chewy and crunchy and chocolatey and nutty and caramel-y all at the same time. Delicious!
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter (at room temperature)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg (separated (see notes))
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups pecans (chopped finely)
- 16 soft caramel candies
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
Making the Cookie Dough:
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, and salt. Set aside.
- With a mixer beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Then add the egg yolk (see notes), milk, and vanilla and combine.
- Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Now it’s time to chill the dough: wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until it is firm, about 1 hour. OR put it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
Putting the cookies together:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Whisk 2 egg whites in bowl until they are frothy. Set aside.
- In another bowl, place the chopped pecansl. Set aside.
- Using your hands, roll the dough into 1 inch balls, then dip them in the egg whites, then roll in the chopped pecans.
- Place the balls 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
- Then using a 1/2 tsp measuring spoon, make an indentation in centre of each ball (see above picture).
- Bake the cookies until set, about 10-12 minutes.
Preparing the caramel:
- Just as the cookies are done baking, it’s time to make the caramel sauce.
- Microwave the caramels and cream in a bowl for 1 – 2 minutes, stirring a couple of times during the melting process.
- Once cookies are baked, remove them from the oven, and gently repress the existing indentations (they will have bubbled up a bit and you need an indentation for the caramel).
- Fill each indentation with 1/2 tsp of the caramel mixture.
- Cool for about 5 minutes, then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Regarding the separated egg…I didn’t separate my egg…I actually just added the whole egg to the cookie recipe, and the cookies turned out amazing! I think the addition of just the yolk is supposed to (in theory) make the cookie more soft. The choice is up to you really, but my cookies were perfectly soft. 🙂
Keywords: chocolate cookies, cookies, turtle cookies