This Turkey Brown Rice Soup is a great way to use up turkey dinner leftovers! It’s simple to make, and so delicious!
- 6 cups turkey or chicken stock
- salt ( (if necessary, adjust to taste))
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 – 4 cups leftover turkey meat (shredded or finely chopped (basically use as much as you would like))
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 – 3 carrots (chopped)
- 2 celery sticks (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1 1/2 cups peas or green beans
- Bring your stock to a low boil, then add the rice. Cook until the rice is done. See notes.
- While the rice is simmering, saute the carrots, celery and onion in the butter until soft. Stir in the thyme. Set aside.
- Once the rice has cooked, add the cooked vegetables and turkey.
- Simmer gently for about 20 minutes.
- Add peas, simmer for about 5 more minutes. See notes.
- If you have leftover rice, instead of adding uncooked rice, add your leftover rice about 15 minutes before you serve the soup.
- Add leftover carrots, green beans, basically anything you think would taste great in soup! I’ve even added chickpeas!