The Best Apple Pie
This really is The Best Apple Pie. The crust is tender and flaky, and the filling perfectly delicious with the flavours of apple and cinnamon!
- Author: Jo-Anna Rooney
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 1 pie 1x
- Category: Pie
- Method: Baking
- 8 medium apples (peeled, cored and 1/4 inch sliced)
- 3/4 sugar
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
Pie crust (This recipe makes 1 top and 1 bottom crust)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening (lard)
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Make the apple filling first: slice the apples into 1/4 inch slices, then combine them with the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and salt.
- With a pie cutter, cut in the shortening until the particles are pea sized.
- Sprinkle in the water, 1 tsp or so at a time, mixing lightly with a fork. Don’t over mix or the crust will be tough.
- Press into a ball. Then split into 2 balls. It’s okay if the mixture is crumbly. In fact crumbly makes for a tender, flaky crust!
- Lay out a piece of wax or parchment paper, lightly sprinkle it with flour, then roll out one of the crusts for the bottom of the pie. Then press the crust into a 9″ pie plate.
- Using new piece of parchment paper, roll out the other crust for the top of the pie. If you are using pie crust stamps, use the dough for the top crust and use as much of the dough as possible while using the stamps. If you are laying on a top crust (instead of using pie stamps) just make sure to cut ventilation holes into the crust.
- Make a mixture of sugar and cinnamon, then sprinkle it on to the top of the pie crust.
- Bake for about 20 minutes at 425 degrees F (this will ensure that you don’t end up with a soggy bottom crust). Tip! Place a baking sheet on the rack directly under the pie in case the apple filling bubbles out.
- Then after this time, reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and bake for about 25-30 minutes more. (Until the crust is lightly browned and the apple mix is bubbling up from under the crust.)
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire cooling rack. Let it cool for at least an hour before cutting into it. Enjoy!
Keywords: apple pie, classic apple pie