These Summer Sunshine Cookies are a fun addition to your cookie jar this summer! Delicious chewy coconut oatmeal cookies made festive for summer with the addition of brightly coloured chocolate candies. Makes a big batch.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups oats (I use quick oats)
- 3/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- candy coated chocolate (I used mini M&M’s)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- With a mixer, cream together the butter and sugars.
- Add the egg, then vanilla.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, oats and coconut.
- Then add the flour mixture to butter mix, and combine thoroughly.
- Form into walnut sized balls, and lightly press down with a fork.
- Decorating your cookies:
- To make the Yellow Polka Dot Cookies: add the M&M candies to the cookies before baking them. Make sure to place the candies as close together as possible so they spread out nicely during baking…refer to the image below: Bake for about 12 minutes.
- To make the Flower Cookies: bake the cookies without any M&M’s (bake for about 12 minutes). After the cookies are done baking let them rest for about 3 minutes, then press the candies into the centre of the cookie in the shape of flowers.