This Halloween Scream Raspberry Pie is a perfect dessert for the spookiest night of all! So spooky, so delicious!
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening (lard)
- 1/4 cup water
Raspberry Pie Filling:
- 5 cups fresh or frozen raspberries (do not thaw)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp cornstarch or flour
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
Make the Pie Crust first:
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
- With a pie cutter, cut in the shortening until the particles are like coarse oatmeal.
- Sprinkle in the water, 1 tsp or so at a time, mixing lightly with a fork.
- Press the mixture into a ball.
- Separate the ball into 2 balls: one for the bottom crust and one for the top.
- Using a rolling pin, on a piece of parchment paper, roll out one ball of pie crust dough into a circle big enough to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Press this crust into your pie plate. Trim the edges with a knife.
Making the Decorative Top Pie Crust:
- Roll out the second ball of crust on to a piece of parchment paper.
- Using your template, cut out the ‘Scream’ face (see tips above).
- Set aside.
Now make the raspberry filling:
- If you are using frozen raspberries, do not let them thaw!
- In a bowl mix together the raspberries, sugar and cornstarch.
Putting it all together:
- Add the raspberry filling to the pie.
- Using the parchment paper, flip the Scream face crust out over on to the top of the pie, making sure the face is in the centre (see above picture for reference).
- Gently peel back the parchment paper.
- Press the edges of the crust together.
- Generously sprinkle the crust with a cinnamon and sugar mix.
Baking your pie:
- In your preheated 425 degree oven, bake your pie for 20 minutes (this will ensure that you don’t end up with a soggy bottom crust).
- After this time slip a cookie sheet onto the rack below your pie, and reduce the temperature to 350 degrees. Bake for 25-30 minutes more. Bake until the crust is golden brown and your filling is bubbling in the vents.
- Let the pie rest for at least 3 – 5 hours so the filling has time to set.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!
- Category: Pie
- Method: Baking
Keywords: raspberry pie, Halloween pie