Sour Cherry Pie
This Sour Cherry Pie recipe is made by first cooking the pie filling, before it is added to the pie crust for baking.
- Author: Jo-Anna Rooney
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 1 pie 1x
- Category: Pie
- Method: Baking
Sour Cherry Pie Filling:
- 4 cups of pitted fresh sour cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening (lard)
- 1/4 cup water
Cooking the Pie Filling:
- Place the pitted fresh sour cherries into a saucepan over low-medium heat and simmer until the cherries release their juices. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring often.
- In a small bowl whisk together the sugar and cornstarch, until it is thoroughly combined. Mixing these 2 ingredients well will ensure that the cornstarch does not clump.
- Stir the sugar/cornstarch mix into the cherries while you continuously stir. Simmer the mixture until the filling has thickened. This won’t take very long at all…about 5 minutes.
- Remove the filling from the heat and let cool.
Making the Pie Crust:
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
- With a pie cutter, cut in the shortening until the particles are like coarse oatmeal. Sometimes I use my hands to do this part. Yes, you can use your hands!
- Sprinkle in the water, 1 tsp or so at a time, mixing lightly with a fork.
- Press the mixture into a ball. It is okay if it is crumbly. In fact crumbly makes for a tender, flaky crust!
- Separate the ball into 2 balls: one for the bottom crust and one for the top.
Baking the Pie:
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out one ball of pie crust dough into a circle big enough to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Press this crust into your pie plate.
- Add the cooled cooked sour cherry pie filling.
- For a Regular Pie Crust: Roll out the other ball of dough and place it over the top of your pie. Press together the edges of the crust (I used a fork to seal the edges). Then trim off the extra dough. Then use a knife to make air vents by cutting slits in the crust.
- Making a Cut Out Crust: If you want to make a fancy crust like the one I made here, use a small circle cookie cutter and randomly cut out little circles. Then gently lift the pie crust dough, popping out any circles still hanging on, and lay the crust over the top of the pie filling. (Refer to the pictures above)
- Brush the crust lightly with milk, then generously sprinkle the crust with a cinnamon and sugar mix.
- In your preheated 425 degree F oven, bake your pie for 20 minutes (this will ensure that you don’t end up with a soggy bottom crust).
- Then after this time slip a cookie sheet onto the rack below your pie, and reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake for 25-30 minutes more. Bake until the crust is golden brown and your filling is bubbling in the vents.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream!
Keywords: cherry pie, classic cherry pie, sour cherry pie