Soft & Chewy Ginger Cookies fresh from the oven waiting just for you! These tasty little cookies are soft, chewy and deliciously gingery.
- 3/4 cup butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup fancy molasses
- 1 1/2 tsp finely grated fresh peeled ginger
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup extra sugar for rolling
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Then add in the egg, molasses and fresh ginger. Mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture until combined.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls, and roll them in the 1/4 cup sugar, until coated.
- Place the balls onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Lightly flatten the tops using a cup.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes. If you like them chewy, bake them on the lesser side. When they are done you will notice that the tops will crack slightly and the edges of the cookies will appear firm, and the centres will appear slightly soft.
- Cool on wire racks.
Keywords: ginger cookies, gingersnaps, Christmas cookies