Smoked Gruyere & Bacon Stuffed Burgers with Balsamic Caramelized Onions
Balsamic Caramelized Onions:
- 2 large sweet onions
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
Smoked Gruyere Cheese & Bacon Stuffed Burger:
- 2 lb of lean ground beef
- 1 small onion (minced)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup oats (or bread crumbs (or crushed crackers))
- 1 tbsp milk
- salt & pepper
Cheese & Bacon Filling
- 4 slices of raw bacon
- 6 – 8 tbsp crumbled/chopped smoked Gruyere cheese
- slices Add cooked of bacon (sliced fresh tomatoes, and lettuce.)
Making the Balsamic Caramelized Onions:
- Melt the butter in a skillet over low/medium heat.
- Slice the onions and add them to the skillet.
- Stir in the Balsamic vinegar.
- Turn the heat down to low, and cook the onions until they are soft and there is no liquid in the pan, about 15-20 minutes.
- Set aside.
Making the Smoked Gruyere & Bacon Cheese Stuffed Burger:
- Combine the beef, onion, egg, oats, milk and salt & pepper.
- Shape into patties. I usually make mine about 5 inches wide and 3/4 inch thick.
- Make an indent in the centre of the burger, this is where the cheese filling will go.
- Cover the centre of the burger and cheese, with the meat from the edges of the burgers. Smooth and shape the burger until the cheese is covered. You may need to add about 1 – 2 tbsp of more meat to cover the cheese.
- These are best left to rest in the fridge for at least 1 hour before BBQing.
- Grill on a medium to high heat grill, taking care not to cook the burgers too fast or the cheese will melt out.
- BBQ until the burger is well done, with no pink inside.
- Serve on a bun with all the fillings and the Balsamic caramelized onions.